[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - How to clean off resin?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

How to clean off resin?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

How to clean off resin?

Postby smtk » Mon May 28, 2012 7:49 am

I'm using large 500ml plastic syringes to inject resin into my moulds (too keep the pour spouts small) however I might get 3 or 4 casts out of them before they just have to be thrown away.

Is there something i can soak them in to clean of the resin and while not tainting subsequent uses?

Also how does one get resin off clothes? I wear a lab coat but I had a splash on my trousers and my shoes.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Re: How to clean off resin?

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Mon May 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Anvils Hammer » Mon May 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon May 28, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm with Duckling and AH: there's really no getting it off fabric. The resin seeps into the fibres and binds with it extremely well. In fact very similarly to fibreglass! I don't know how you manage to splash so much though - I've never spilled any on my clothes!

Similarly with the syringes I think ultimately it's going to be easier and less aggravating to just throw them out once they're gummed up...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Deadmeat30 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Cursed yourself now zac..... shouldnt of said that :P

Ive ruined quite a few t-shirts and trousers with the glorious resin, lol.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Mon May 28, 2012 7:36 pm

Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby paulson games » Mon May 28, 2012 7:52 pm

I've ruined a few shirts which is why I always wear older ones to do my work in.

Resin also doesn't come out of hair, I had fun with that one the other. I went to shake a bottle and didn't realize the cap wasn't on, oops.

Other things it' doesn't come off of, cell phone screens or the lens of your glasses... grrr
paulson games

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Mon May 28, 2012 10:40 pm

About the syringes, I washed mine with water and soap but the results were so so but I mentioning it is possible can't hurt.
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Fleafa » Tue May 29, 2012 12:49 am

So long as the syringes don't have rubber plungers, you could leave them to soak in acetone. If they do, try to take them off first.
I guess you could even try that with pure cotton clothes. Any polyester will be devoured though and I wouldn't hold out hope for colour fastness!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby smtk » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:30 am

Well there no need to worry about cleaning my trousers...

This afternoon had a combination of things to try my patience. My father picked a fight with me upon getting to the garage, I had a lot of casting to do today, its very warm here, the power cut out for 10mins and the floor space in the garage is limited to about 1 square meter.

All of the above meant i was in a hurry to get out of there and didn't change into my spare set of clothes or put on my safety goggles ( seem to have lost my clear safety glasses). This was my choice to save time and complacency had set in. I was wearing gloves and my lab coat however.

I was using a new 50ml syringe (job lot off eBay) to fill the moulds. The plunger started sticking but i still had a lot of resin to go so i powered through it (you guys already know where this is going). About the 5th draw the syringe jammed then pulled apart with a loud pop and half a liters resin exploded everywhere all over my lab coat, trousers, the work bench and the floor. The only place i didn't even get a drop on was my face ever so lucky for me.

Thinking back now I was really lucky not to catch any in my eyes and blind myself. Only resin that got on my skin was on my wrist where it smashed into the cup I was using. Its really easy to become complacent when working with it so much its only days like today when you think what liquid resin is a liquid plastic that cures using toxic catalyst that get very hot.

Needless to say I will now will stop treating this as a hobby and remember its a hazardous chemical environment. I'll always use goggles now and have a back up syringe in case of problems. Remember to work at my own pace and not try to rush things.

I did however find out a similar funny story that happened to a doctor friend as a result. He was making blood cultures when the blood clotted in the syringe which then exploded covering him and the room in blood a nurse walks in right after, has fits of screaming, runs into the corridor and passes out.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:10 am

I think you're one of only a couple of people on here using syringes to inject their resin. I could indeed tell where the story was going though :P

Glad to hear there wasn't any injuries resulting from it!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer