[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Preparing 3D prints for casting!
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Preparing 3D prints for casting!

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Preparing 3D prints for casting!

Postby awesomeshotdude » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:46 pm

In regards to a 3D printed model that is to be used as a master for mould making.

Will spraying the printed model with a sealant replace sanding if the printed model is already of a good quality, or not?
awesomeshotdude
Casual

Re: Preparing 3D prints for casting!

Postby mangozac » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Welcome on board Danny!

When I cleaned up the one printed part I've done so far (which was essentially a flat surface) I used Tamiya putty and then sandpaper. Even with filling (i.e. airbrushing on a gap filling primer) I think you'll still have to do some sanding.

I suspect the other guys doing a lot more of this will be able to give you a better answer ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:09 pm

I the surface is rough, it will still be rough with sealant...

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby awesomeshotdude » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated :)
awesomeshotdude
Casual

Postby mel_danes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:16 pm

Depending on the stepping a primer or sealant will not help reduce the effect. Old fashion filing and sanding are the only way I found to get rid of it. On areas I missed the master part still came out of my mold ok. Good luck, I look forward to seeing your project.
mel_danes
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby awesomeshotdude » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:29 pm

awesomeshotdude
Casual

Postby mel_danes » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:26 am

Sounds good.
What are you getting printed? Also who did you have do it, and what material?
mel_danes
Casual

Postby awesomeshotdude » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Hey mel,

I'm getting a 12cm tall Mech printed with various weapon attachments. I ended up getting Vision Proto to do the printing...not sure what material they are using, but I asked for the best possible surface finish.
awesomeshotdude
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer