ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Strong thin walled castings

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Strong thin walled castings

Postby Stonecoal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 am

I have 2 questions regarding Smooth-on's Task 4 resin: 1. Is it true that long-curing resins (16 hours for Task 4) shortens silicone mold life? 2. With production time in mind, is there a resin comparable in strength and durability to Task 4 but with a shorter cure time? Appreciate any help.
Stonecoal
Casual

Re: Strong thin walled castings

Postby mangozac » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:11 am

Hi Stonecoal!

In general resins with a shorter cure time will generate more heat during curing, which in the long term does have a detrimental effect on the silicone. We all generally use resins with a cure time of less than 1 hour, but I expect that you could go a lot shorter than 16 hours without much impact on the mould longevity.

For help selecting the best Smooth-On product you'd be best talking directly to someone from Smooth-On.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Strong thin walled castings

Postby Stonecoal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks, mangozac. I'll be dealing in some cases with very thin sections (1/32 or less) so perhaps with small pieces the heat factor with long-curing times won't be too harsh on the silicone. BTW, you probably know that Smooth-on provides the resin for Micro-Mark. Smooth-on's Task-4 is Micro-Mark's CR-900.
Stonecoal
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer