ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Casting cheaply?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Casting cheaply?

Postby diddy_lemon1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:58 am

Whats the best stuff to cast relativly cheaply? It would be casting plinths in resin so wouldnt have to beable to get amazing detail becuase they are smooth and the resin could have pretty much any properties as they will only end up being drilled or having stuff put on.
diddy_lemon1
Casual

Re: Casting cheaply?

Postby Warhound » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:03 am

Being in the UK- I would recommend going to Tiranti (link in the resource pages)

I use the BI-resin and T20 silicone- for a set of each will set you back about £60 inc p&p, but you will get a few pulls from that- just depends on the size of the plinth really?

Don't forget to get some shots up of the master soon! No secrets here! (OH and don't forget to complete your admittance form!)

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby diddy_lemon1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:33 am

Volume wise how much resin/silicon do you get? everything is in kg and that isnt very helpful for working out how much I would need.....
diddy_lemon1
Casual

Postby Warhound » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:23 am

With the resin, you get 2 x 1kg tins, which roughly equates to 1.7l, the Silicone is 1l there abouts;-)

Ironically, my degree has just been in the zone of planetary masses vs volumes and densities so I COULD go into the whole mathematical matter, but the above it the answer that I believe you are after? ;)

cheers

WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby diddy_lemon1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:15 am

Thanks a bunch. I think i'll grab some of the resin over the x-mas period as i already have about 250ml of silicon+catalyst and will have some stuff i want to cast by then :D Is it worth ading a pigment/dye to the resin or just cast clear?
diddy_lemon1
Casual

Postby paulson games » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:39 pm

I use dye for casting as it gives my resin a nice grey tone to it which is very helpful for seeing the details. The resin brand I use is a pure white when it cures and it's very hard to see the details and inperfections. Once primed it doesn't matter what color the resin is, clear, black grey, white etc.

You have to be careful with the dyes as some brands work very poorly and also you need to follow the manufacturers mix as adding too much dye will have very negative effects on the resin. I've had dye cause reactions that produced gases in the cured resin which caused it to swell up like a ballon before rupturing totally destroying the piece. Stay away from micromark brand dye it complete crap.

Aluminite brand dye works great but is very strong/concentrated so you only need a tiny drop for several ounces of resin.

Also pick up some mold release if it's not included with the kit as it definately helps your molds wear a lot longer, which is very helpfull for repeat casting.
paulson games

Return to Dr Polymer