[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Knight Titans on ebay in the UK
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Knight Titans on ebay in the UK

Found an interesting kit in resin or plastic? Want to review a kit you've just bought? Share it with us here!

Moderator: Wardens

Knight Titans on ebay in the UK

Postby Arkangel » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:27 am

Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Re: Knight Titans on ebay in the UK

Postby mangozac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:23 am

Honestly, that is not one of the better knight titan designs I've seen. It follows the standard scratchbuilt style which is just bland IMO. That said however, from the limited amount of information I can glean from the single picture, the casting seems to be ok. Not that it's so hard to hast simple parts like those easily once you have the pressure equipment...

IMO it's a bit overpriced too. If it had a higher level of detail it would be worth that price but as is I think 50 quid would be more realistic. And even then it's not good enough for me to buy. Hmmm maybe I'm going to have to do my own take on a knight titan next.....
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blind pig » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:09 pm

It is a bit bland, but would make a good start to add your own detail.

Having all that detail cast into the original would be better.

It is about the same level of detail as the old Armorcast scout titans of the early 1990's.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Exactly, and I've never been a fan of the Armorcast stuff...

Don't get me wrong though - I'd always be happy if the sculptor/caster made an appearance here ;)
mangozac

Postby Loken » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Yeah I am not a fan of these. Very simple. I have seen much better on eBay.

Alec
Loken
User

Postby paulson games » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:36 pm

I appreciate the effort that goes into making a big model like that as even getting it to that point is a boatload of work. I do think it does look a bit on the plain side, very armor cast like. Would be a good base for the model but it'd need a lot more detail work IMO and I'm not sure I'd want to pay that type of price for a model that still needs a lot of work to finish.
paulson games

Postby Arkangel » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:07 pm

Well,
I PM'd the guy on ebay with the forums address, it's all down to him. :?:

Guys seriously, I know these aren't maybe the best out there but hey, you can't knock a guy for having a crack..? :oops: I think they have the original Knight design from Epic at heart at least. If anyone has better pics of a 40k Knight I'd really like to see them for comparison.

I think the guy should have a little credit, at least he bothered to have a go. :|
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby Loken » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:11 am

Loken
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:33 am

Fair call, Dan. I'm just a bit of a model snob :P

I'm sure a lot of people would be into them and it would be interesting to hear how many they have sold. But I maintain I think they would be greatly improved by another level of detail.

You know what? I can't think of any knight titan models that I've really liked. An Aussie guy has done an alright one , but I would have liked to see the weapons mounted or arms rather than directly on the shoulders.
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:08 am

I'm not knocking his work, it takes a lot of effort just to get stuff to that point. I have a scratch build thunderhawk sitting on my shelf, half complete & mocking me. I know how much work does into even a roughly done scratch build model.

I do think it could use a few extra detail like rivets or a few more armor bands to break up some of the smoothness. A really good painter could probably work wonders with the current model as they can add all sorts of extra detail with the paint, but for more marginal painters they need the relief detail to help break up the areas of the model.

It's a good build but I do think it could be improved a bit, particuarly if they are being offered for sale.

Anyways here's a couple knights that I thought were pretty good.

Not sure who did this one but it's one of my favorite conversions:

This one is pretty killer too:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v168/ ... eathguard/

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... 409&page=7

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... 676&page=5
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:14 am

Yeah that blue eagle headed one is definitely the best I've seen. I'd seen it floating around on the net before but never found out who the creator was. I'd love to do something like that!
mangozac

Postby ImmortalXerxes » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:33 am

Hi folks (especially Arkangel who directed me here). This is my first post here but...I made that eBay Knight!

It's my first attempt at making any kind of cast-able model (apart from some one sided bases) so I can totally appreciate that some of you find it "bland" and/or lacking detail ;)

I've only been back into the hobby, after a 20 year break, since I signed up to eBay in April 2008. Before then, I'd never even heard of resin casting. BTW, I have no pressure or vacuum casting equipment.

The plan is to sell a few of these and use the funds for more materials so that I can get onto the MK.2 version which will have better arms with heavier hydraulics, more variant parts, other weapons and other tweaks and aesthetic changes that have come to me since this was made (including tiny rivets).

I'm still pondering keeping the main parts, eh..."bland" and making up some sort of detail 'kit' to go with it but that might be hard until I find somewhere to cast with poly resins (acrylic resin can be a bit brittle for small parts). I've been sending out a couple of small flat backed skulls and, usually, one each of the three weapons with each model I sell so I have to disagree on the price front. Where else would you get a Knight 7 inches tall with 3 interchangeable ranged weapons (rare earth magnets are great aren't they) for about £60?

The reason I'm using acrylic resin is that I live in a small flat with a one year old and I've no access to a workshop (nudge, nudge, hint, hint, anyone in Edinburgh!) and I'm not about to poison my family for little toy soldiers. It is a pain because if I was casting in a less viscous and generally easier to use poly resin, people would be willing to pay more and it would take half the time to cast them.

Thanks, for all the constructive criticism. I appreciate honesty without cruelty and that seems to be what's going on around here. Cheers, guys :)
ImmortalXerxes
Casual

Postby thedreadking » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:28 am

Found this one which I really like too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Very-rare-HOME-MA ... 20b5f6111f

Hope Santa brings me one :mrgreen:
thedreadking
Casual

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:04 am

@ ImmortalXerxes
Very nice work on your titan. While I agree with the Bland comments, I think your right on mark for a mass production "overall" model. I prefer mine "bland" so I can make them stand out with painting and extra gubbins. This way my "lords of war" are not cookie cutter and more like Rare works of art Like they are supposed to be. Bravo on the models though and I look forward to MKII as If your improving and making it better I might splurge and pick up one or 2...

@ thedreadking
Drop dead sexy. At 150 Euros (About $200 [MAN I remember when it was the other way around!!!]) Its a BIT pricey for me to put in my army, as a knight. Of course this is coming from the standpoint of having 4-5 of them in an Army.....
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:26 am

mangozac

Next

Return to Kit Finds & Reviews