[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - DreamForge-Games Leviathian Mortis
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

DreamForge-Games Leviathian Mortis

Found an interesting kit in resin or plastic? Want to review a kit you've just bought? Share it with us here!

Moderator: Wardens

DreamForge-Games Leviathian Mortis

Postby blind pig » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:28 pm

http://dreamforge-games.blogspot.com/

200 piece resin kit, $395.

Probably make a great Chaos Titan for 40K.
blind pig
Junkie

Re: DreamForge-Games Leviathian Mortis

Postby BlueRonin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:08 pm

Looks very good, but I think it would need some clever dressing up to capture that 40k feeling. The kit looks very good, though! I'm trying to picture how to weave more cables and bodies into the model like tge FW Blood Slaughterer style.
BlueRonin
User

Postby blind pig » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:16 am

The "Crusader" pattern looking like Grey Knights.

http://dreamforge-games.blogspot.com/20 ... chive.html
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:35 am

Blind-pig,

Thank you for these pictures!! They are great!! With the name I thought they were re-producing the the "blockhead" titans again, but these are MUCH more sexy!!

Now what to sell to raise money..... :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby NoseGoblin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:40 am

NoseGoblin
Casual

Postby Arkangel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:12 am

Great Kit, Awesome looks :geek: ......however the price is a bit steep don't you think? I mean taking the shipping factor away, what people in the states pay dollar wise for a Warhound I've got to think it's the better option over the Leviathan. And As A 'Chaos Titan' Sub/stand-in/proxy it's just not big enough..... Just MHO

Still a great mini in it's own right though
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:16 am

OK first off let me say you've done a fantastic job Mark! It's a beautiful model and I personally get a bit jealous of how perfect you 3D modelling guys are able to create your geometries ;)

There's a couple of small aesthetic things I'm not a massive fan of (primarily the pelvis armour), but the 200 piece count is very impressive. For those who don't feel it "40k enough", let me remind you that Mark has to ride a very fine line with regards to IP and I feel what he has come up with here is smack bang down the middle of where one should be. I think it would mostly fit at home amongst Imperial forces, however if you're that anal about it some simple conversion/add on work is all that's needed.

The price thing is a tough one, and I certainly learned that the hard way with my SAW kit. After its launch so many people complained about the price and I was like "hang on: it's cheaper than a Warhound and bigger than a Warhound so what's the problem?". The thing is that people are happy to pay inflated prices for FW stuff because that's what they expect. They expect to pay much less for 3rd party products. Judging on the size, parts count, quality and current exchange rates, I don't think that US$350 is unreasonable. I think Mark would sell more at $300, but I'm sure he knows his costs and has analysed things appropriately.

Again, great work Mark and I look forward to more of your stuff in the future!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Arkangel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:31 am

I totally agree with Zac I'm a MASSIVE fan of the model. I'm just aware of the pricing thing for the same reason as Zac stated. And It's only going to cost more to buy FW stuff soon as the national tax in the UK goes to 20% in Jan :( Well once the dollar(US) get weaker against the pound again I may consider purchasing one :mrgreen:
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:42 am

Ok well Im a noob so take this into account. I also am Canadian/American So thats strike two against me.

But $400 for a 200+ resin model that is that nice is worth it to me. FW prices are outrageous, but taken into account the time effort and prep/material to make one I feel comfortable paying $400 for this (with all arms) and playing everywhere but a GW store, VS $500 for a FW one and taking the risk of warped pieces and miscasts that are so common with them. I do realize that miscasts are something that happens occasionally BUT I hope that it is not as common as I have seen with FW things. I would look through my bags thoroughly before leaving GW Glen Burnie Bunker and 3 out of 5 times I would find warped parts/miscasts. This strikes me as bad. maybe I have too high expectations.

Again just my opinion, 2 cents, 1 pence, etc...
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:39 am

I saw this on warseer, couldn't comment as I'm banned from posting on there.

I love this sculpt the 3-d product you've come out with is amazing, I'm just dipping my toes into that pool and this type of stuff is what I'm hoping to do down the line very inspiring.

The price I think is fine, it's a huge model titan scale stuff is very tricky as it's a lot more demanding on surface details as there's so much more area to cover and without lots of clear detail it starts looking very bland. Which has always been my issue with most of the fan built knight paladins. This looks like it uses a fair amount of material, but with so many parts I think time is one of the largest factors in price and it's something that people don't really consider.

Even if the model takes half a gallon that's maybe $50 in resin, but with 200 parts you are spending probably 8-10 hours casting the model, the molds are also quite exspensive, and then there's the inital build time. I think he'd said somewhere in the area of 400+ hours for the 3-d modelling. And several thousand dollars for the 3-d printing a model that large, that's a huge investment and in order just to break even he needs a pretty good margin.

The 200 part count seems really high I'm wondering if there's a way to reduce the count slightly as I'm sure it'd ease some of the time put into casting these. I'm definately itching to buy one of these as it'd fit in perfect with a mechanicus army I want to build.

Mark, I love this model and can't wait to see more of your products as it's definately some of the best independant work out tehre and the 3-d is staggeringly good.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blind pig » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:58 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Loken » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Oh I am buying one. This model is stunning and the price is fair.

Alec
Loken
User

Re: DreamForge-Games Leviathan Mortis

Postby NoseGoblin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks everyone! and sorry blind pig ;P

I hate the whole price issue, but I try to be upfront about it. You can read my blog post here.

http://dreamforge-games.blogspot.com/20 ... ul-oz.html

When it comes to pricing I don't charge what I think I can get, I charge what I have to based on the initial costs. Had this been a smaller model with lower print costs and less mold material, the price would be far lower. Bottom line is, I wont see one red penny of profit until roughly 77 kits have been sold, and my hourly wage..$9.44 hr. This all changes if I sell hundreds, fingers crossed, but there are no guarantees.

I know the VAT will kill sales to the UK but it cant be helped. Perhaps at some point I can find a caster inside the UK.

I think of 28mm vehicles as boutique items, they are more for the modeler than the player especially when they get this large. The truth is, 15mm and smaller is far more suitable to table top gaming. At the core I am a modeler, I have never played 40k and have no interest in doing so. I think their imagery is cool and the fluff is fun...but the game system... bah. The whole thought of tournament play just turns me off. I'm an old fart that was raised on RPG's so what do I know.

The problem with being a one man band is that I never get to spend as much time designing or creating as I would like. There is always the next part to be cleaned or the next mold to be made. With any luck I will find the right people and make the right connections to get a bit of freedom from the production end and get Iron-Core off the ground. But thats likely some time away...

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

All the best,
Mark-
Last edited by NoseGoblin on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoseGoblin
Casual

Postby BlueRonin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:32 am

Yeah, just considering the model itself it us an awesome piece of work! Us 40k guys being picky about our take on the "40k look" has nothing to do with the fact that you've done your own design - and it looks awesome!
BlueRonin
User

Re: DreamForge-Games Leviathan Mortis

Postby blind pig » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:35 am

blind pig
Junkie

Next

Return to Kit Finds & Reviews