[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - 3d Stuff
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

3d Stuff

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: 3d Stuff

Postby paulson games » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:46 pm

Update:
Last edited by paulson games on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Dragonforge » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:05 am

Where are you going to get the files printed?

They to be cast in resin I assume? They would also be ideal for pewter production.
Dragonforge
User

Postby paulson games » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:55 am

I'm going to try printing these with shapeways and they are fairly cheap. If that doesn't work I'll be using printapart, but their prices are significantly higher so they will be the secondary option.

The printed parts once cleaned up will serve as masters for molding and I'll be casting copies in resin. I'd love to get ahold of a spin casting machine so I can do parts in metal as it'd be 10 times faster to do metal bits but that's a ways off as I'll need to save up for one of those.

Last edited by paulson games on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulson games

Postby Dragonforge » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 am

I can recommend a good metal caster who can take printed parts and mold them directly for metal masters. He uses Print a Part. Print a part becomes cheaper with volume.. pm me is interested.
Dragonforge
User

Postby paulson games » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 am

Update:

All of the parts that I posted have gone off to the printers and I'm hoping to have them available on my site by the end of the month (or possibly sooner)

I'll continue adding more parts as I can get the models pieced together.

WIP shot:
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Mmmmmm.... miniguns......

As awesome as it looks it'll be a big pain to cast that thing up (at any scale). You'll have to work out a suitable way to chop it up and get the parts 3D printed in the chopped up version...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:52 pm

One day this whole 3D printing malarky will be so cheap and affordable, that there won't be a need to cast up printed models; just print up what you need and use that. :D
blind pig
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Got Missles?

Starting on some battlemech styled weaponry, the missle launcher is the first model I have in a (almost) complete state. I have some lasers in the works as well. If you guys have any suggestions for the model before it's printed feel free to fire away.

This will measure about 10mm tall and wide and about 20 mm long.
paulson games

Postby Barn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Looking awesome mate :)
Barn
User

Postby paulson games » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:18 pm

trying to decide if the cut/indent on the lower part of the launcher needs tweaking?

possible change:

paulson games

Postby Barn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Although it took me several looks to work out the difference :P i think do like the bottom one more :)
Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey Jon that's looking awesome! I was wondering what you'd been up to! It might be intended for Battletech but it would look right at home on many of our favourite lines ;)

My response was the same as Barn's - it took a few goes to work out the difference, but I agree the second one is a bit sharper.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:25 am

Thanks for the comments guys, kind of what I was thinking it's a minor change but I think it looks a bit smoother.

The first test pieces for the weapons came in today, I may have to make a few tweaks to the model and have them printed again as the rivets came out a bit soft. I'd modeled them as circular but the printing resolution isn't high enough to capture that. I may have to switch over to cylinder rivet so the edges will be sharper. I'm also going to submit the same model to print-a-part to see how much of a differance there is between the two companies.

Here's shots of the pieces direct from the box, really shiny as I just rinsed them. Hopefully I'll have the first test casts done later tonight and I'll post pics when they are in resin as it gives a much better abilty to see the detail.

I've also been playing a lot of battletech again so I made a pair of blank 30mm hex bases. The regular BT bases all have a recessed top face which gives it a really annoyting lip along each of the hex faces so I wanted ones that had a completely flat top.

paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:19 am

Where are you getting them printed at? Those look like fairly low res prints with the thickness of the striations from printing. There's some much higher res stuff available that might be more useful for 28mm models.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:26 am

I got those printed at shapeways as they were only about $7 per sprue. I am going to try print-a-part but it requires a differant approach on how the model is built in 3-d, additionaly it's about $75 per sprue so I figured I try the cheaper route first.

The tiles pieces I had printed a while ago on shapeways were quite good but they have far more flat surface so the layering marks aren't nearly as noticable.
paulson games

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling