[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - 3d Stuff
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

3d Stuff

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: 3d Stuff

Postby mangozac » Wed May 25, 2011 7:00 am

x2.... extremely cool! What scale is it/what is it intended for?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby NoseGoblin » Wed May 25, 2011 10:50 am

Great work! I love seeing the actual casts.

I have to agree, for the price and quality John over at Moddler does a great job. He is my go-to guy for all my Objet prints.

Keep up the great work.

Mark-
DreamForge-Games
NoseGoblin
Casual

Postby factor40 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Your 3D skills are definitely improving keep up the good work!

factor40
Habit

Postby paulson games » Sat May 28, 2011 5:42 am

The Marine model just arrived.

It came out fairly well but is going to need a bunch of changes and to be reprinted. The scribe lines on the armor are very weak if they show at all, hoses need to be snugged up flat against the joints in order to cast them properly. Back of the helmet is hollow and broke through while being cleaned, will have to be made completely solid. Thumb on left hand broke during cleaning. Pose will be adjusted once we get the details corrected.

Overall not a bad first run as we didn't really take the time to fuss around with the getting the details set at proper depth for printing. Gave a great test piece for figuring otu what we need to tweak.
paulson games

Postby madrobot » Sat May 28, 2011 1:04 pm

That's very nice. Are you printing them with PolyJet? I spoke to John over at Moddler and it looks like they produce very clean parts with little or no support. They are a little too expensive for me so I stay local here in Illinois.

Any chance we'll get to see it primed to show the detail?
madrobot
Casual

Postby paulson games » Sat May 28, 2011 2:18 pm

If I can find all the parts for my airbrush I'm going to try and get it primed up tonight.

BTW where are you at in IL? I'm in downers grove might be able to meet up and compair notes.
paulson games

Postby madrobot » Sat May 28, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm in Arlington Heights, I'd love to see that marine in person and see how the surface compares to what I've been getting printed.
madrobot
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sun May 29, 2011 8:17 am

Hey Jon I'll wait to see the primed pics because it's pretty hard to see any detail in the printed model. I will say that the proportions seem a little odd, like the torso is a little too small?
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun May 29, 2011 11:35 am

I like it!! I think the torso IS a bit off BUT I also think its the fact the "belly/groin" looks detached from the chest allowing it to appear smaller. the thigh "wings" also add to this. when you take it into account it looks much better IMHO.

I would pick some up, and proxy as a kill team. most definitely :mrgreen: !!!
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sun May 29, 2011 4:07 pm

Image on the left is the offical model, most of the key points are very close when the model are placed side by side. Some of the marines proportions are just kinda off when you try and place a human form inside the suit as there's no way that human legs would fit properly through the suits hips.

One thing that throws the printed model off a bit is that the arms stick out slightly too far, I've since cut them loose from the model and cut down the cylinder so that they snug up directly with the torso which definately helps.

I may need to thicken up the hoses in the groin and lower torso. Part of the thinness in teh pic is due to it being head on, but part of it is them also being a bit too small.

As for getting the priming done I'm missing the mixer needle for my airbrush, not sure where I placed the parts when I cleaned it as it's been about 6 months since i used it. May not have have cleaned up pics for a bit :(
paulson games

Postby paulson games » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:03 pm

I've been insanely busy the last two weeks, picked up some part time construction work so not a lot of time for the models.

Still touching up the terran marine. The rifleman/defender model had way too many problems for printing so I had to scrap it and start from scratch. The upside is that I can use the model for references and measurements so it has been helping speed up some of the work.

Here's a progress shot, still more work to do on the hips before I start on the legs. Details are intentionally on the blocky side as fine details and smooth edges will be lost when printed. About 18 hours or so on build time so far.

paulson games

Postby paulson games » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Been a bit sidelined with having to visit family and all the summer craziness. I was finally able to gather up the energy to get back to work on the rifleman.

Started blocking out the legs. Their thickness needs a bit of tweaking and then I'll be onto the finer details.

paulson games

Postby paulson games » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 am

The rifleman is about 90% complete now, just a few areas on the back to touch up and it'll be ready for printing :)

paulson games

Postby mangozac » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:35 am

Hey it's looking great now! This is your own design right? It'll look right at home next to the other mechs, yet also much more modern looking ;)
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:06 am

No it's a design from the robotech /macross series.

The 3d model I created, I added a few very minor tweaks but the design has been around since the 80s.

paulson games

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling