[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - 3d Stuff
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

3d Stuff

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: 3d Stuff

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:50 am

It'll be interesting to see if you can clean them up adequately, but thus far I'm not too impressed with the prints. The print lines look pretty pronounced...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Lane » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:00 am

I've heard good comments on parts printed by http://www.moddler.com/

Both print a Part and Moddler list resolutions at 600 dpi/ .0016"
Moddler also states their Z axis resolution is 1600 dpi.

Shapeways does not list a resolution or dot size, they do list a minimum detail size of .2mm/ .0079"

As a comparison the average human hair is .003-.005"

Moddler also has a price estimate tool on their site.
Lane
Habit

Postby paulson games » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Lane thanks for the link, I'd seen their site a while back but lost the saved link when I got a new computer. Thanks for reminding me of them. I've sent in for a price quote, the site estimator puts it around $54 for a sprue of 5 weapons which isn't bad.

I also ran a quote on fine line/print a part which will cost upwards to $260, although their microgreen printing option is totally incredible for minute details.

I've seen some decent stuff done by ninja magic and going to check on what theyt'd run.

I don't mind a little spending on the printing, the increased detail will help the parts sell better but not sure I want to dive in on print a part just yet.
paulson games

Postby Barn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:26 pm

This is all pretty gosh dang exciting!
Barn
User

Postby Lane » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:43 pm

The microgreen looks like it has double the resolution of their other materials so probably in the .0005-.001" dot size.

I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra cost though.
From what I have heard on the scifi concepts and design yahoo group most prints require a lot of cleanup/ filling due to the steps in the print. Double the resolution would mean 1/4 the step volume but depending on your filer and sanding your time reduction may be less than cost increase.
Lane
Habit

Postby Vaaish » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:26 am

I can't really recommend shapeways for small scale or precision stuff because their resolution is bad compared to other offerings. You might be able to get it cleaned up with some effort but the black detail material doesn't usually sand well.

Print a part is pretty standard for most of the folks doing 6mm epic stuff and it's the route that everyone went after trying out quite a few other printing services. It was a few years agot that everyone was looking into it so there could be some newer ones out there now.

With print a part, you might be better off just printing a single master and creating a few copies to built a production mold rather than printing a complete sprue.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:40 pm

I ran a quote on print a part for just a single weapon. The microgreen is $164 and it'd still run $120 foralmost every other material options. Additional copies beyond the first aren't quite as exspensive (about $25) but there's a hefty set up fee for the inital piece.

They have a softer material that has a very high detail output but I think it may be too flexible? I'm not sure it'd work for making molds from.

The epic pieces I've seen look incredible, I'm curious what materials they used and what it ran cost wise. The only one that's showing as a translucent blue material is the Visi Jet 200 which is the cheapest option at about $28 for a single weapon or $64 for the sprue ($41 for additional copies).

I ordered a printing from moddler which I should have early next week, decided to put off molding the shapeways stuff until that comes in as I really don't feel like spending the time molding & cleaning if I don't need to.
paulson games

Postby Vaaish » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:04 pm

the Epic stuff doesn't use the microgreen. For 6mm it looks like the new system is listing the material as this: VisiJet HR 200 High-Resolution MultiJet Modeling build in 0.00125" layers

That's the blue acrylic that's been used and has excellent reolution. It's a very hard material and holds up quite well to resin molds as noted with the Epic Warhound I just painted and the obelisks I made, as well as the macharius models I'm currently painting :)
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Awesome, I really apreciate the help with this stuff. I submitted the file for printing with them as well. That way I'll be able to compare them all side by side. Figured it'd be the best route to go as I plan on using printing quite a bit in the future for master parts.
paulson games

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Is anyone willing to take a commision to make 3d IMG for me?? Im looking for a guy (or girl) who can make some coins/tokens in the formats that are accepted by moddler.

If you are PM me or email munkeyjoe@FAILGamers.com
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:48 pm

I'm not good enough to do relief style detail just yet, I'm barely functing with basic shapes so smooth detail is beyond my capacity at the moment. When I get a bit better I could maybe take a shot at it.

Anyways got an email from Moddler tonight and the parts are shipping so I should have them early next week. :)

Here's pics he provided they definately look really sweet compaired to the shapeways printing, can't wait to see them first hand and I'll post some close ups as soon as I can.

paulson games

Postby Barn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Mate, im litterally drooling here! (although that could be because it's almost tea time :P)
Barn
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:04 pm

oh wow.... dead sexy!! :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 pm

that's much better resolution. Looks comparable or better than the blue we use for epic.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:05 pm

A good old fashioned mech autocannon (wip):

I'll be doing a mirrored version so that there'll be a cannon for both the right and left arms with the ammo feed belts on the outside.

Going to work on the ammo belt tomorrow and cleaning up the panel lines some more, also probably making a large ammo box that'll go on the mech's back.
paulson games

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling