[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Factor40's Public Display
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Factor40's Public Display

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Factor40's Public Display

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:48 am

I like it, but it does feel a little too lightly armoured now, particularly around the belly.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Lane » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:46 am

I like, very Clamshell'ish.

May I suggest a drag handle at the back of the neck.

You could fill the gap between the front and back with a heavy cloth and some kind of fastener.
Lane
Habit

Postby wormwood » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:34 am

I'd love to have 28mm figures with good proportions to use as stand ins for the 28mm heroic minis, which I always thought looked a bit silly.
wormwood
Casual

Postby factor40 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:43 am

I've fallen behind in my updates here. I've finally got all the parts sized the way I want and they are off to the printer. With any luck, I'll have them and send them of to be cast within the next couple weeks.

Here's some pics:

There will be enough for 10 figures, 2 options for a Sgt., and 2 extra weapons. The xtra weapons are a grenade launcher and a flamethrower. There will be 15 heads, 5 each of the 3 variants.

Like any new process, this has been a real learning experience and future sets should go much smoother.

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:29 am

Received all the parts today from the printer. I'm happy with about 90% of it but there are some issues with they way the shoulders on the right arms came out. They are are missing some detail; detail that was there on previous prints. Usually these kinds of things happen when the printer is really busy, which my guy is at the moment. So...probably have to wait another week or so for replacements and then they are off to the printer.

factor40
Habit

Postby paulson games » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:21 am

Looking really nice, you should put one together with sticky-tac to see how it looks assembled.
paulson games

Postby factor40 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 am

Will do...just heard back from the 3D printer, Visionproto, about the bad prints. Paul is awesome and has promised to print them again until I am happy with the final parts. Very good to hear!

factor40
Habit

Postby Deadmeat30 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:36 am

loving these mate! If only i knew zbrush :(

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:17 pm

It's hard to tell with the body and heads in the back of the picture, but everything else looks really good! I'd prefer that the bottom of the cloaks were "hollow" rather than filled in like that, but I understand that's a necessity for casting at a realistic price ;)

Really looking forward to the final product!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:13 am

Some of your prints look really refined! Are they better than Shapeways Frosted ultra details? I just received some Frosted ultra details part and they could be better, lovely details but still need refinement before casting. Is it possible nowadays to get ready to cast pieces (and without selling a kidney)?
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby factor40 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:37 pm

These were printed by . They use a liquid resin as opposed to stacking layers of material. Very high pixel density and high resolution pieces. Also very expensive. Just one of the heads shown in the previous photo runs about $20 and it's only around 6mm in height. But, they are ready to cast with little or no work.

factor40
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:41 am

Ok so in the case of dolls it means selling both kidney xD
Can you tell me the major difference with frosted ultra details so I have a way to compare with something I know? Please =)
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby factor40 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:09 am

Based on my VERY limited experience with Shapeways, the big difference is the reproduction of details. On what I am doing, noses and eyes are about 1mm in size and they are reproduced quite well using the higher technology. The one time i sent a test print to Shapeways, the head, of similar size, came back with almost no discernible details at all.

In all honesty, for what you are doing with the prints, you are probably best sticking with Shapeways. As long as you are happy with the results.

factor40
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks =)
I wouldn't complain having less post process to do but not for the price of your print, it is simply not feasible, nor really useful since I don't need as much details as you guys do on my pieces. But for miniature this technology is simple amazing, I never knew 3D print was that advanced. This is really exciting!
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby factor40 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:22 am

Below are some shots of the pieces assembled. You'll have to forgive the poor fit on some of them, these are the masters and I am very hesitant to handle them too much for fear of damaging them.

factor40
Habit

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling