[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Factor40's Public Display
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Factor40's Public Display

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Factor40's Public Display

Postby factor40 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:04 am

I hadn't thought of that...not a bad idea.

factor40
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Can't wait to see the prints. I am also very interested on what the Ninja Magic guys can do.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:56 am

Shapeways model received today. G_W_ watered down wash was used to try and show details. There aren't many to show. I wasn't really shooting for G_W_ proportions but it gives a good idea of how it compares.

You really start to see the necessity for over-sized proportions at these scales. The print is 28mm from heel to head and the G_W_ is 32mm heel to head. I still have some work to do to get this 3D model where it needs to be but I'm closer than ever.
Last edited by factor40 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

factor40
Habit

Postby paulson games » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:46 am

That came out pretty well, looks much more in scale for 25-28mm figs that aren't all GW chunky. Would be a good fit for death korps or any of the infinty line of minis.

Was this printed in their ultra frosted detail material?
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby factor40 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Yes, Ultra Frosted Detail. I'm disappointed by the lack of finer details that are still missing. This is where I get bloody frustrated because I could try and refine this at the current size but I am so ingrained in the 40K IG look that I want to try and reach for that instead. Maybe there's a comfortable middle ground there somewhere.

While the GW fig looks goofy in it's proportions, that is what most sculptors would lean towards in this scale because it allows for the details to be seen easier. Aarrgghh...

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:55 pm

Here's some idea of what some re-sizing might do...

Enlarge the overall scale

Widen by 25%

As you can see, the proportions still don't match up perfectly but this widened versions seems to fit better in comparison. Is that required? Well, think about who will primarily be interested in these.

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:59 am

factor40
Habit

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm

Bigger head helps..... bigger arms are not really that much change.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:04 am

mangozac

Postby factor40 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Just got this today from Moddler.com. It looks like we got most of the details to a printable point. I have learned to follow what I call the ".3mm rule." If you want some thing to show up on a print to the point that it can be dry brushed, it must extend at least .3mm from the surface. We applied that rule to as much as we could and this is the result.

The power fist may need a little more refinement but the main figure seems pretty good. I'll lightly prime one to get better pics of the face details once I receive these in the mail.

Any thoughts on the head sizes?

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:57 pm

mangozac

Postby factor40 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:53 am

Here's a comparison of the latest 3D print from Moddler. They do awesome work, btw.

I've taken the liberty of comparing them to some other well known commander type units. My guy still falls a little short, but you can really see the details start to come out. I will go back to the drawing board again and make some more refinements. We are so close at this point, it's just a matter of time until we get these spot on.

Any thoughts?

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:20 am

MY understanding is that FW stuff is its own scale again (compared to GW), which means that your figure still looks too small. Maybe scale him up by 10%?
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling