[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Factor40's Public Display
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Factor40's Public Display

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Factor40's Public Display

Postby factor40 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:48 am

Well, something I discovered is that the FW commander minis are1-2mm taller than the troops. This is literally the case within the DKoK Command HQ kit I just received. So, yes, 2mm taller and then start widening all the proportions a bit. I am fortunate to have a 3D artist working with me who is super patient. He can see the potential as much as I do and we are determined to make this work.

Only time will tell, I guess.

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Quick Update: Found this guy the other day...

http://lightbeam3d.com/index.html

He's very cool and he specializes in small pieces, like toys and figures. His results are some of the best 3D prints I've ever seen, they blow PolyJet out of the water. He'll be hopefully printing a demo print for me this weekend.
Last edited by factor40 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Nice. What's his pricing like compared to the other services you've been using?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby factor40 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:39 am

I'll let you know this week, as soon as I find out. It will certainly be more expensive.

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:18 am

OK chaps, here we go. Some of the same details are missing but we’ve addressed that on a newer version of the model. The main difference is the surface, the new model is castable “as is”. With no additional finish work, that is huge.

Some different lighting to show more details:

I don't know if there's much more I can say on this. As soon as the proportions get solved this thing will be printed and cast. Then come the full squads...command teams...heavy weapons...

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:52 am

Wow that's very impressive! The ability to mould straight off the print will be very handy and save a lot of time. But enough time to warrant the extra cost of that printer?
mangozac

Postby BlackCatStudios » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:44 am

That is outstanding quality on the print, I suspect it is worth the extra cost.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Postby factor40 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 am

The cost of printing is based on time. The machine is $40/hour. If you check out the , a 24mm figure costs $150 but 11 of them are only $400. I imagine the costs on 28-32mm would be only slightly more. The key to keeping costs down is planning out the prints efficiently.

Most sculptors will charge about $200 for a 24mm figure. Thats $2000 for 10 unique sculpts. If you go the digital route, the design might cost you $400-500 and the prints are $400. So the digital route is roughly HALF the cost of the traditional process. As long as the quality is there, I'll take half-off any day.

Plus, the master sculpts are re-printable...forever.

factor40
Habit

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:41 pm

mangozac

Postby factor40 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:32 pm

lol, it's good to be loved.

The 15mm stuff is good 'ol sculpting, for now. Once I can get the 3D process rolling in the right direction, I will try a few 15mm prints and see how they come out. A company called Art Crime just released some figures they had cast from 3D prints so I know it's possible. I just don't want to compromise on the quality so that's the next test for Lightbeam3D.

factor40
Habit

Postby Lane » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:40 am

I've seen a few of the Art Crime Production minis and they look good.
Sadly I missed the demo game he ran at a local game store.
Lane
Habit

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:19 am

OK, newest test print in from Moddler and I think we have a winner. The only remarkable difference is the size of the head.

Big question here: Do I go the final step towards being 40K compliant and make the head larger?

Ask your friends, get as much feedback as you can and let me know what you think.

-Steve

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:45 am

As much as I'm supportive of diverging from "GW" scale, I also feel that you've rescaled everything else now, so you might as well bring it right into line and increase the head size slightly.
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling