[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Factor40's Public Display
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Factor40's Public Display

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Factor40's Public Display

Postby factor40 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:16 am

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:04 am

See if you can split into parts like that Cadian model casting will be so simple. It can be done with just a single part split mould so is very desirable.

In the trade off of multi-part vs aesthetics I reckon multi-part is the way to go. Not only because of the ease of casting but also the flexibility in posing it provides.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby factor40 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:01 am

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:39 am

Case in point is the Cadian sprue above. It will have been made using a single part split mould.

Now it seems there are two schools of thought when it comes to building moulds: build them expensive and long lasting or cheap and limited life. Most of us home and low volume caster opt for the latter.

A single piece model with a relatively dynamic pose is probably going to need a two-part mould, which required a lot of playing around claying up the model to create part lines, etc. Not to mention the time for two silicone pours, mucking around with release agents and stuff.

If the model is broken up into relatively flat pieces like that Cadian above you can mould it using a single part split mould. Simply mount the parts to a block, stick it to the bottom of a mould box and then pour in the silicone. Once the silicone it set pull out the block and use a sharp knife to split the mould. For full instructions check out my . So the split mould can be made really quickly and easily. It has become my technique of choice now that I don't have any particularly large parts to cast. Mould alignment can be an issue but there are tricks to minimise that.

Perhaps it is a mater of personal taste. Are you planning to be doing the production yourself (at least for a little while as you get things going)?
mangozac

Postby factor40 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 am

I remember that tut, it's one of the first things I read when I joined up here at RA. So the multipart can actually be a better option as long as the pieces are oriented properly for a split mold, correct?

As for the casting, at this point I'm not planning on doing it myself. We'll see, but time is a big factor and I don't always have it when I need it. I've done a few press molds but I haven't taken the time to get into the process yet, that's where I was when I joined RA. Since then, most of my free time is spent focusing on Mad Robot mini's and bringing it to life.

Thanks for the info.

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:06 am

mangozac

Postby factor40 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Sorry for the lack of posts recently. I've been putting together a forum for Mad Robot Minis and I have been busy figuring(pun intended) out the next steps to take towards more projects.

I am happy to announce that I finally found a sculptor to create the Greatcoats I've been blabbing about for so long. Chris from is doing them and he'll be handling the casting as well. As soon as I get some progress pics, I'll share them here.

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:42 pm

I noticed you posted about that on your blog. What caused the sudden change of direction (from 3D printing)? I assume it was because of the learning curve in translating from 3D models to prints?
mangozac

Postby factor40 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:19 pm

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Well it's been too long since I posted something, mostly because I had nothing to really post but now I do. Here is a render from a character model I had digitally sculpted.

While I'm waiting to hear back from Todd @ Ninjamagic.com, I ordered a few copies from Shapeways to see how it comes out. I'll post some pictures as soon as they arrive.

factor40
Habit

Postby blind pig » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:36 am

Wow.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:23 am

mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:20 pm

As said in your blog.... I want one. I dont care WHO i kill for it! :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:24 am

LOL, thanks guys. I came up with the concept, I passed along all my ideas to an awesome 3D artist and we worked back and forth on each stage. I am really hoping this thing can get printed without any issues. The big test will be the level of detail that the printer can achieve, it's expensive but I know the technology is out there.

Here's a closer view, I can't say for sure that all that detail will print...I'll have to wait and see.

factor40
Habit

Postby blind pig » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:33 am

How about making it 54mm as a display piece?

It is *very* cool.
blind pig
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling