[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Fleafa makes a walker
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Fleafa makes a walker

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Fleafa makes a walker

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Well, I need two Triarch Stalkers for my army for a tournament in March. I decided to make one myself then print, mould and cast it. Last night, my friend informed me that they would likely be released next month! Ah well. If the official one looks good and is fairly priced (lol) then I'll go that way. Otherwise, I'll be going with this.

Fleafa
Junkie

Re: Fleafa makes a walker

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:19 am

Edit: Should have read the post properly. Going the 3D print route eh? Will be interesting to follow. I've got the same questions as Bec.

Personally I'm not so keen on the "throne" style of the chassis in the concept piece. Something lower and horizontally elongated would look much cooler IMO.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blind pig » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:32 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 pm

The model looks pretty cool, I imagine that it may cost a bit to have printed but would definately stand out being a custom piece.

Do you have a printer picked out and know what type of price range you'd be looking at? If it's not too pricey it'd make a great piece.

I have seen several conversions done from converted ghost archs that look really good, there's also this http://bitspudlo.com/products/trinity-tomb-crawler I bought one of those and it's pretty decent.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

mangozac

Postby paulson games » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:05 pm

For what it cost it wasn't bad although the casting could have been a bit better there's some mean mold slip on top of the torso that's going to take some work to fix and two of the pointy fins on the gun were snapped off and not in the bag. At least the fins will be easy to replace.

Here's some of the conversions I was looking at and not too bad in price considering it's a GW kitbash

http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com/2011/ ... alker.html

http://warhammerwithzail.blogspot.com/2 ... orial.html
paulson games

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:38 am

It isn't quite finished yet, but has probably taken around 12 hours. This includes me relearning the software and generally trying out ideas and abandoning them along the way. I will probably be printing it anyway, so will let you know the cost when I know.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:05 am

Oh wow this is your own 3D model? Very nice! And pretty fast work 12 hours to do that!
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Actually, I think 12 is an optimistic estimate... I am terrible at keeping track.
I spent a few hours reworking the cockpit as I was also unhappy with it. Now it is more in keeping with the annihilation barge and ghost ark designs.
I'm having trouble with connecting the legs to the chassis atm.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:16 am

They're multiplying!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Coming along nicely! Personally I'd like to see the gun slightly bigger and I know I mentioned it before but the height of the chassis is still bugging me. I'd lose those sensory looking bits between the chassis and pelvis (they look too much like cartoon eyes anyway) and drop it all down a bit.
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:32 am

I see what you're saying, but I want to stick close to the concept artwork.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:42 am

I just did my research and I see that what you're doing is very true to the concept art. I honestly didn't realise that there was concept art for the stalker out there! :oops:

So although I personally still feel the same about the height, I now understand exactly where you're coming from and request that you ignore my previous comments :P
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Argh! I kinda already knew this but:
The chances are GW will be releasing this kit in March. The tourney I need it for is in March. I probably won't have enough time to see if it is nice before printing mine.
GW model will be cheaper than mine, though I may make the cost back by selling it. People will only buy it if it is cheaper/better than the GW kit. Based on their recent releases, I doubt the latter.
What do I do?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:20 am

So are GW not showing previews even a month before it's released? Is the tourney early or late March?

I personally wouldn't go to the bother of printing and casting the model knowing it will be available so soon. If you'd done a custom design it wouldn't be so bad, but since this is based on the GW concept artwork then there's nothing unique to portray the amount of extra effort in creating it.
mangozac

Next

Return to Digital Modelling