[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Magnetic Duckling's dolls
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Magnetic Duckling's dolls

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Magnetic Duckling's dolls

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:34 am

Magnetic Duckling is a team of 2 humans. Unlike you guys we make jointed dolls but since resin is resin, I was told I could happily post here too to show you our stuff \o/
Sorry for the dudes who are not into dolls, I hope you give us feedback anyway :)

She is a 43 cm 3D based resin doll:

I wanted to summarize her creation process here but since you can get more detailed information on our website I figured I'd just post a picture of the state of her so far and if you are interested in the 3D process please feel free to visit http://www.magneticduckling.com ^_^

I'll post updates of the process from now on =)
Magnetic Duckling
User

Re: Magnetic Duckling's dolls

Postby factor40 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:58 am

Welcome to the forum!

So you take the prints from Shapeways and just add layers of surfacer until you get it they way you want? Never would have thought it was done that way.

Thanks for sharing :)

factor40
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks =)
I add a layer of surfacer, then I sand it, then another layer, sand again, etc until smooth. Not just pile up layers of paint. Time consuming but sweet smooth finish in the end.
We could cut the amount of surfacing by printing in a more expensive material, with more details and less printing lines but for such big pieces it becomes tremendously costly very fast ><;
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:23 am

It's very nice work MD (and obviously a lot of work too)! How tall is she?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:26 am

Really beautiful work :)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:39 am

Thanks <3
She is 43cm.
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Anvils Hammer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:18 am

killer rack... :mrgreen:

also should probably say somthing constructive.. really nice work, is the doll in the photo a resin copy which has been painted? The posability comes from internal elastics? do the eyes move in the head?

How much would it cost to print a whole doll in frosted ultra detail?

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:29 am

Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Anvils Hammer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Sorry Ill use universal scientific anatomy names in future... :D

Wow.. 1000 Euros is insane!! I really hope you make the money back plus enough for your time, or is it more of a hobby project? I assume you intend to sell the dolls to collectors for prices which make forgeworld seem cheap? :mrgreen:

I guess for somthing 43cm tall with even a few solid parts, the price will increase exponentially, most of the parts I have printed are maximum 25mm long, a rifle for example is around 0.25 cm3, so the cost to print is very cheap even in FUD.

For a trash cast its wonderfully painted! I look forward to seeing the for sale versions.

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Nah it's just my technical English that sucks... (and by technical I mean sex slang XD)

If you think that in insane I better not mention how much we spent in resin and silicon tryout and failure since we were learning and stepped into every possible mistake. Big size projects can get expensive really fast ><;

I wanna make a living with that, I wuv dolls. Plus I don't have a job *ahem*
I dunno, how much does a miniature sells for when it as made by you guys and not by a big company? Dolls made by artists are pretty expensive yes, but they are also expensive to produce.

A friend painted the face, she did an awesome job. The "trash" part is more an issue of not so perfect jointing and bubbles in the resin that you can't see in the picture but that makes it a non salable (can we say that word? Oo) product according to my standards.

Thanks for your interest <3~ (I mean you are a guy after all, they usually just say it's creepy and that is the end of the discussion).
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Wow yeah 1000 Euros is very expensive! There must be more economical ways to do the printing?

Custom miniatures parts like we do don't automatically facilitate higher pricing. It comes down to how cool the model is and how good the casting quality is - but even then there's a natural price ceiling. From what you were telling me on MSN I'm guessing that the handmade dolls are worth a lot more because they're regarded more as collectors items or works of art.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:19 pm

That is a lot of money for a WSF print!
I cut my costs down by making hollow parts which I then fill with Milliput or PU.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:19 am

Zac, the highest price I have seen was a porcelain OOAK doll sold for $30k on ebay, that is extreme and light-years from normal artist casts' prices but it happens. They definitely are regarded as art, so the price vary a lot. A normal price would be 400 euros I'd say.

Hollow parts hummm... why didn't we do that xD I am not sure anymore but I think there was a reason. Have to think about it for next time.
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby blind pig » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:31 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:34 pm

I like it, it has very fine details and I wouldn't have thought it was a printed model.

It's an older post but there was a lady on here that was doing simular dolls, I think the stuff is interesting and shows there's plenty of good uses for resin beyond just war games.

I really like the articulation on the doll, it reminds me of some of the collector ones that I'd been looking at by a japanese comapny. They had dolls/figures for the seven samurai characters and lone wolf and cub. The individual ones averaged between $300-$600 each and I think the seven samurai set was about $3,500.

Not stuff I can afford but I highly appreciate the craftsmanship.
paulson games

Next

Return to Digital Modelling