[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Magnetic Duckling's dolls
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Magnetic Duckling's dolls

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Magnetic Duckling's dolls

Postby Lane » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:22 pm

As a collector of 1/6 scale action figures (GI Joe, etc) I have to compliment you on the outstanding articulation.

The only criticism are
The elbow joint looks like it tends to pop out inside the upper pivot.

The leg/ knee interface does not blend well when bent, maybe sculpt the knee cap to the joint and cut back the leg edges a bit.

The upper thigh joint, great idea, does not blend well when bent. Might look better if the leg section came to a thinner edge that overlapped the middle piece instead of the hard edge it has now. The mid section may also be a bit long as well. I assume you mean to represent how the butt stretches and flattens when the hip joint approaches full range. It's well done but may be about 10% too long.

It's not 1/6 scale.
Lane
Habit

Postby Anvils Hammer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:24 am

400 euros for one doll?? why am I making wargaming components again??

Lot of money, but to the collectors I guess its well worth it.. I suspect your target demographic is older and richer than mine!

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:41 am

@Blind Pig:
Oh yea, pain in the ass... but like Fleafa said, can be filled with various stuff.

@paulson games:
Thanks <3

Yeeees! Glimmer right? Blind Pig linked her posts to me when I joined the forum.

What are those figure you are talking about? Bring the links on xD I am always interested to see cool new stuff =)

@Lane:
Thanks a bunch for the criticisms, I always appreciate it. Our doll is already primed and almost ready for casting but I keep that in mind for the next one :)
I don't understand everything though (hi retarded limited English). Could you point a specific picture where you find the elbow joints pop out ?

Oh yes the knees, problem is they can be pretty or bend more than 90 degrees but apparently not both ><;
We really put a lot of thought into those knees. Others ways to do it would have been:
-those, but I don't like the look of them AT ALL (on a completely unrelated note, this is the doll that sold for $30k):
-or those (the ones on the right), but I don't like the kneecap like effect:
I guess it all comes down to personal taste in the end. Some people hate double-jointed knees altogether.

Upper tight joint, same pain, if it was shorter then some resin would get in the way of the bend of the leg (I am not sure I am making any sense here). I wish we could think of a really cool way to, like you say, "represent how the butt stretches and flattens" but we have yet to find it.

And that is a 1/4 scale, yup.

@Anvils Hammer:
Funny you'd say that, because I was thinking making miniature was cool and I wanted to make some one day xD
Targets hmm, on the doll forum I am there are a LOT of teens with a couple of dolls, don't ask me how they manage. Girls are usually 20~35 I'd say, and not particularly insanely rich.
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby paulson games » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:49 am

These were done by Alfrex & Side Show Collectables.

They also have versions for Yojimbo, Zatoichi, Jubei Yagyu, Hatori Hanzo, and the duelist from Sleepy Eyes of Death.

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:38 pm

I got my Pressure pot and vacuum pump of love and it rules the universe. So here is my new head, bubble free.
It is the same 3D sculpt as before but we had it printed again with less detail loss, sanded, surfaced and the usual drill. Still need some sanding at the seaming lines.
Tell me if you like \o/
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Fleafa » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 pm

You're a comedian Fleafa! :roll:

The heads are a bit creepy looking, but the casting looks absolutely superb! The surface finish is flawless!

What vacuum pump did you get? Are you just using the pressure pot for a vacuum chamber?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:39 am

Wow! Yes, the quality does look superb. Well done!
Xeones

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:31 am

lolz Fleafa :p
Thanks guys <3
I got . I use the pressure pot with a custom lid Deadmeat built me so I can watch the silicon bubbling <3
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:18 am

Nice choice! And very kind of Deadmeat to help you out with the lid!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Previous

Return to Digital Modelling