[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - BattleSuit Re-imagined
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

BattleSuit Re-imagined

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: BattleSuit Re-imagined

Postby mel_danes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:58 am

Sweet!
Got the parts Wednesday. I need to find a camera that is not a phone :P
The level of detail FUD gets is quite nice. Panel lines .2 mm across or deep came through fine. I did lose some others because of depth I think.
Looking over the pieces as printed and comparing them to the exploded view several things become apparent. Part placement and object orientation seriously effect the quality of printing, the underside being severely effected by what I assume to be the support medium.
When I can get a camera on these bits it will far more apparent.

Couple questions particularly for those whom have cast printed bits.
There feels like some kind of residue on the deep welled parts, is this a dissolving agent used to remove the support material, and more importantly what can I use to safely remove this residue?
I know I need to use a mold release agent so that my silicone molds don't grip on the micro stepping, but what kind of primer should I use to seal the pieces?
I am filing some of the obvious surface irregularities off the pieces but I think a good coat of primer might do a lot of this for me.

So excited, this is a 18 year dream come true. I and several of my gaming buddies were looking at CAD machines in the 90's to do this kind of thing. Now it is as easy as submitting a OBJ file and waiting. This may become the new hobby for me. Fun times.
mel_danes
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:31 am

Use a clean toothbrush to get the residue out of the recesses. You'll find the surface is still slightly glazed with the residue. I do nothing about this. In fact, it acts as a rather effective release agent and has no negative impact that I have found. Your first cast will remove it from the mould.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:42 am

Exciting! I want to see the pics! Is it possible to rescribe lines that didn't print well or does the material not lend itself well to that?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mel_danes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:40 am

mel_danes
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Nah, no priming necessary. I did it the same with my C'tan stand-in and have had no trouble at all. Even the portions of the walker which I sanded didn't stick to the mould.
Camera arrived :D

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mel_danes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Full post coming later. Just wanted to let you all know I did not kill myself with silicone or resin.
I intend to do a full break down of my project with all the little details.
For now pictures of my efforts so far....
Compared to the Original kit.

Front and back (shows the thruster well)

More to come...

More in a couple days. Thanks to everyone who gave me tips and pointers, I would never have finished this without you guys.
mel_danes
Casual

Postby paulson games » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:54 am

That's looking pretty cool, the stuff I got from shapeways cleaned up pretty well with a toothbrush or a potato scrubbing brush and hot water.

They use a wax like glue to fuse the layers togetehr, the gunk in the cracks is some the excess material that doesn't get cleaned off by their sandblasting. If it doesn't come off with a good scrub brush you can scrape it off carefully with a hobby knife. It shouldn't be too hard to remove.

I've found that it helps to give the parts an ink wash or very thin coat of paint to help see the details prior to cleaning.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:48 am

It's about time! :P

The model has turned out quite nicely - I didn't realise how much taller than a stock XV8 it was going to be! It may just be the photos but the details on the prints seem a little soft (i.e. some corners not as sharp as they should be). Then again that also might just be your design too...

Congratulations on your success!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Previous

Return to Digital Modelling