[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Wax-printed torsos
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Wax-printed torsos

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Wax-printed torsos

Postby Fleafa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:29 pm

So I've been working on some torsos for a while now and I received some prints from Zack at Protowax a couple of weeks back. I finally got around to casting one and I thought you guys would like to see the outcome :)

P1000327.JPG

P1000329.JPG

P1000330.JPG

For all intents and purposes, there is no visible layering and the surface is fairly smooth with a slight, almost soft, texture. I am very impressed with the level of detail and the crispness of the print.

Fleafa
Junkie

Re: Wax-printed torsos

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:10 am

The texture makes it look like cast iron :P

Seriously though the results are very nice. How does the cost of wax printing compare to UV resin? The detail is indeed quite sharp!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:49 am

About 4x the price :/

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:43 am

i can see the stepping in the second photo ;). man i have to stop looking at 3d printers! Zac will tell you, lol.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby factor40 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:22 am

The surface appears a little chalky to me, might just be the close up picture. I'm having a sprue printed by Maxmini's new printing service that I think uses the same process. I'll be curious to see if it looks similar in the finish. Nice torso, by the way!

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 am

mangozac

Postby Lane » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:33 pm

It may not be 4x as good but how much do you value your time?
If it costs an extra $75 but saves you six hours of cleanup/ prep work it may be worthwhile.
Lane
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Indeed. But the fidelity allows for details smaller than those achievable with plastic unless you pay about the same price. I have a shoulderpads commission currently which requires eyes to be visible on the badge. This would not be possible with Shapeways prints. VisionProto... maybe. But the price is comparable and Zack is in the UK :)
Also factor in that I have had some bad prints from Shapeways where the stepping is horrific enough to render them useless as masters. I'm not talking about the layering inherent in 3D printing, but some kind of print head misalignment-type effect.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:31 am

Ahh so when you say 4x the cost you're comparing to Shapeways. If the price is similar to Vision Proto and it has the convenience of being local then it's certainly a viable choice.
mangozac

Return to Digital Modelling