[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - 3d Mudbox
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

3d Mudbox

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

3d Mudbox

Postby johncast » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Please to read that i am not the only one having trouble with some of the computer downloads for 3d models, frustration we all know about.
However , I did spend money on the computer programme called Mudbox , as I saw this 18 months ago and bought a programme as i thought it would be good to sculp figures and get them to the HO and O scale I like to manufacture in for the model railways. Good figures are hard to come by. have sculptured a few figures in the mudbox and had no problem working the tools set , at leased the ones I need. Then came all the problems. Landed on the door step of the rapidprototype place and they could n't print it, has to be in a stl file , so we download some free software to convert it to Stl, fine. back to the shop, stl is ok but the figure is not scaled now. and they don't do that .
So we have 5 or 6 figures in the Mudbox files that i have spent tens of hours sculpting all ready to go, and they have been there for 6 months , but need to know how to use the netlab download or any other computer download to scale it axis X Y and Z.

Is anyone here have knowledge about Mudbox and how to scale a figure, would be so so pleased of any help. I was of the idea that this mudbox stuff would do all this in one package, why the Mudbox carn't and doesen't generate Stl files is madness to me . unfortunatly this is not the case , apparently you have to bounce the file you sculp back and forth in all number of programmes to do all different things.
Johncast
johncast
User

Re: 3d Mudbox

Postby Fleafa » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Mudbox really is only intended as a sculpting tool. It is made by Autodesk, who produce Max and Maya. Both of which are fully-featured modelling/animating/lighting/rendering solutions which Mudbox is intended to complement.
It is a shame you didn't decide to go for Zbrush, as it can do this exporting as standard. The interface and workflow, however, are a great deal harder to learn.
Apparently there is a Mudbox plugin out there to enable this functionality, but it is not official so I have no idea how well it would work.
You could download a copy of Blender or Hexagon, Import your .OBJ file you exported from Mudbox, scale it correctly, then export to .STL.
I recommend using a program called MiniMagics 2 to double-check the exported .STL file for scale and integrity.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:00 am

Try downloading Blender, it's free ware. Also both mesh lab and net fabb studio will let you make modifications to files as well as resize them.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby johncast » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks for you input Fleafa, and paulson games, Had to make the choise of Zbrush or mudbox, must admit I was behind the 8 ball as far as knowledge goes when it come to computer soft ware like this. I gess i through myself into the deep end big time. I won't go in to the difficulties I had with both soft ware and computer in the first 3 months of buying this . Hope all is Ok once i learn how to do things. no problem using the sculpt tools.
I have downloaded blender, mesh labb and nett fabb Paulson, have jumped around with these but instructions on how to do exactly what i want to do are hard to find. or fathom out , need a teacher. just get frustrated with it and give up. Where are the instructions a step by step guide thats easy to follow to complete the alteration of the finished subject to STL file and to scale it , download on to a stick and off to the prototype people.
IF ONLY IT WERE THAT EASY.

Johncast
johncast
User

Return to Digital Modelling