ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

WIP: BFG Armoured Light Cruiser

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

WIP: BFG Armoured Light Cruiser

Postby fora_mortis » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi everyone!

I have finally decided to get off my derriere and start a BFG modeling project (my first ever)!

For this project, I intend to design and print my idea of a BFG armoured light cruiser. The style of this design should represent a healthy balance between speed, agility, armour, firepower, and a very sleek design.

To model this ship, I will be using Autodesk Inventor.

Here are some WIP shots of a very basic prow shape that I am still working on. Once I have the shape nailed down, I will start adding details, such as, structural components, the keel, weapons, glitz and glamour, and whatever else comes my way!

Please let me know what you think of my work as it progresses! I am very open to ideas and suggestions!

Thanks!

fora_mortis
Casual

Re: WIP: BFG Armoured Light Cruiser

Postby Vaaish » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:08 pm

It's a good start, but I believe your prow is too long and becomes flat too quickly which is going to make balancing the rest of the ship more difficult. Id really recommend blocking in the basic shape and sale of the rest of the hull as will help you figure out how the pieces need to fit together to create a cohesive and well balanced ship.

If you look at your last pic of the front view of the prow, the foreshortening because of the angle makes it better proportionately.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:13 am

Welcome to RA Fora_mortis! Great to have another BFG modeller on here!

It is a good start and I think you're on the right track for a sleek looking design. I agree with all of Vaaish's recommendations - the main problem is with how flat the prow gets at the forward end. I wouldn't let the top surface reach such a shallow angle otherwise it'll start looking like a duck bill!

Very basic blocking out of the rest of the ship would be a really good idea as it gives everything a bit of perspective ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby fora_mortis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Thank you mangozac and Vaaish for the suggestions!

:)

I think blocking out the rest of the hull should help me plan out the proportions and dimensions for the rest of the ship! I will see what I can do over the next few days!

I am still trying to see what I can do with the prow. I am not too happy with the prows that GW has created for their Imperial fleets. Their front and side elevation views are too square and boring for me, and I want to try and get away from the classic triangle "Trireme" bow that is found on most capital ships. My idea is to create a prow that mixes the design of a throwing dagger's blade with a snow clearing locomotive's snow plow from 60-80's era (massive plow, which is the full height of the locomotive). It is kind of a weird mix, but I think it suits the prow's intended function of being sharp and precise to penetrate a hull, but enough mass at the end of the prow to tear the punctured hull apart. This prow is for ramming!

I think once I add some of the keel support structure underneath the prow, and some of the plating on the hull itself, hopefully it will get away from the duck shape. I am not happy with the rear section of the prow, so I need to figure out what to do here. However, if I am unsuccessful, I will feel great sympathy for the enemy ship that falls to the majestic light-cruiser, "The Crimson Mallard."

:D

What are your guys' opinion on torpedo tubes? I am thinking of having ports on the bow that can be closed when not in use, similar to what submarines use.
fora_mortis
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Now that you describe the inspiration for the prow design I understand where you're coming from, but personally I'm still not a big fan. Perhaps as you say with some keel details it might look a bit different.

Yes, a dagger shaped prow might be more damaging to ram with (although really for hitting head on so long as a prow has some kind of point it doesn't really matter what the shape of the rest of it is), but due to it's thinner shape it will be more fragile and thus has a greater possibility of breaking off inside the rammed ship! While standard Imperial prows might not be as sharp, they are a massive hunk of armour that is never going to be damaged.

But it's your design so you do what you want! ;)

I think for the style of ship you're planning close-able torpedo tubes sounds like a good plan.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Digital Modelling