[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - [BFG] Weapon Packs
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

[BFG] Weapon Packs

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

[BFG] Weapon Packs

Postby Islacrusez » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Right, I've decided to give weapons a bash. Because why not? I'm going off the length of the broadside weapons slot on an Imperial Cruiser, so these should fit any Imperial ship with a weapons slot. I've gone for some gothic arching, though I think I've still got some trim to do... Thoughts?

Would anyone be interested in gothic weapons batteries for their Battlefleet Gothic ships? ;)
Since I'd like to offer casts of these to the community, I'd like to get community feedback to make sure that they're up to scratch.

I intend to add a ø3mm by 1.5mm hole in the back for magnetisation.
Islacrusez
Habit

Re: [BFG] Weapon Packs

Postby Malika » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Well, if you're gonna 3d print them, maybe you could then add some more interesting details to them? So far so good, but I think you could make them even more awesome! :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 pm

Anything specific in mind, or any area that particularly needs attention? I don't want to unnecessarily clutter it if not necessary or helpful ^^
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Hmm, but unnecessary clutter is very Imperial, they're really baroque! :mrgreen:

But it might be a nice though to have some small accents on the cannons themselves, small ridges/etc on the walls/arches, etc.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Commissar-Krad » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:26 am

Perhaps a few cylinders poking out the the negative spaces in the top overlaps would be good. I like the overall look of the design very much.
Commissar-Krad
User

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 am

I added some details to the base, but I'm most likely going to have to remove the strip indent, after I took the measuring tool to it and found out just how small everything was. Between the inner faces of the arches, where the guns are, at the widest point, is only 1.5mm. No further detailing is required, methinks!

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Commissar-Krad » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 am

The circles are the only place I thought you may want to add another cylinder:

Commissar-Krad
User

Postby Malika » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 am

What about some eagle heads as well?
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:14 am

I honesty do not believe there is room for anything that complex on something so small! I have sent the file to the printer to make sure that it can print as it is, and if it comes back with the all clear I will consider adding some minor details. Eagle heads are out I think; mostly because they're simply far too complex a shape, and would require more detail than I can manage at this size. I have to remind you that this entire part is the same size as a standard imperial battery; the diameter of the guns is about 0.75mm, if that!

A small shape could be added to the large-ish flat area up top, but that may be it. I will scour gothic architecture to find something fitting!
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:21 am

Kinda like this:

Look at the 'Cargo Pillar Module' (third from the left on the top), it has the eagle heads on the bottom.
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:39 am

Nice work so far! I agree with having a little more detail, but you need to know that without using a really expensive printer you're going to struggle to reproduce a lot of even the existing detail.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 am

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:10 am

If it will print it will cast in resin - that's the least of your worries ;)

Silicone moulds pick up sandpaper marks and will reproduce them in the resin!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:35 am

Shallow details are easy, it's the long thin things that are problematic!
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Commissar-Krad » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:43 am

Whatever you can manage will be great. I really like the design you have going and I am looking forward to see what it comes to.
Commissar-Krad
User

Next

Return to Digital Modelling