[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Modelling bits for 3d printing
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Modelling bits for 3d printing

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Modelling bits for 3d printing

Postby Malika » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:52 pm

I've been working on a few variants.

Each tile is about 50mm x 50mm x 4mm. In principle is to print one of each tile and then mould/cast them. Simplicity is the goal here, so a standard building could be made with just two different parts (wall component and roof component). Want to go higher? Well, then there's a third part.

Idea is also that the wall variants are interchangeable. The system does allow for it, and aesthetically almost all of them seem to work just fine for that (the one on the far left being a bit of an exception).
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:51 am

Looking good. Similar concept, though a different scale, to .

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:12 am

That's what inspired me to make buildings in the first place. Thing that bugs me slightly about Dropzone Commander is that all the buildings seem to be rather art deco, which in itself isn't bad since I really LOVE that style, but I was hoping for some more scifi like elements in there.

Also, I've got a feeling that if I can get this stuff cast in plastic, that it would become a lot cheaper, and easier, to make my buildings. :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:27 am

Actually I quite like the Hawk tiles, it's just that the scale is wrong (and if they were scaled up they would need an extra pass of detailing).

Yes of course injection plastic would be the cheapest production method. I hope you've got $50k plus in capital for the tooling though!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:55 pm

I don't dislike the stuff Hawk Wargames has been making, I'm actually quite fond of it. Just hoped for something a bit more scifi and weird. But maybe that'll come in the future. :)

In the meantime:

Been adding some more variants in the mix which could be cool for in the future. Idea is that each 'type' of building has three possible wall variants, the 'grand entry' / 'pillar' style (bottom), the normal door wall (middle) and the higher levels (top) variants.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:02 am

In the meantime I've altered one of the components a bit and put them together into a building:

Sadly enough I can't show whole city blocks. I've been wanting to put a lot of these buildings together on SketchUp so I can show you what they'd look like together, but my laptop doesn't seem to handle that too well... :(
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:27 am

Ok, so I started working on a tank, you know...just to have something to drive through these cityscapes...

I imagine this to be some sort of APC, still need to put some weapons on there, was thinking of a turret on the front of the tank, probably something to blast (heavy) infantry and (light) armor with.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:59 am

Hmm, ended up putting the turret on the back, makes more sense since it can turn 360 degrees.

For the more perceptive ones amongst us, I started working on something heavier as well...
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:03 am

Heh, that building's starting to look like a modern block; the window patterning reminds me a lot of the wire cages of some large buildings and skyscrapers. Doesn't quite work for me for Imperial though.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:54 am

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Tweaked the tank some more.

The turret needs some more detailing, as does the front. Then I can play with the big tank! :D
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:52 am

Tank designs look interesting, although the turret at the front looks silly. Keep it at the back ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:01 pm

I know what you mean. It's not only that, but it's also the size of the turret.

I decreased the size by 20% and moved it to the back:

Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Latest version is looking pretty cool!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:35 am

Hmm, doesn't seem to have any obvious method of gun elevation and depression?
Islacrusez
Habit

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling