[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Modelling bits for 3d printing
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Modelling bits for 3d printing

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Modelling bits for 3d printing

Postby Malika » Thu May 21, 2015 3:42 am

Making the walls thinner is a tricky one, especially considering how they work together with the floor panels. However, cutting them in two and hollowing them out might not be such a bad idea. Especially if they would already be usable when just using one half of them.

I'm gonna give that a shot! Thanks guys! :D
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sat May 23, 2015 11:33 pm

I've removed the 'half' rivets on the sides of the wall pieces. They might have proven to be a potential castability problem. I've also started working on one of the panels, as you can see in the centre wall piece. You can simply stick those in the existing wall pieces, thereby allowing some variation on your wall designs. Will be doing a few more of those to create some more variation.

Next up would be the hollowing out of the wall pieces and corner pieces, which will be a bit tricky. However, it would make it a lot cheaper to cast and transport.
Malika
Junkie

Postby RageofAchilles » Mon May 25, 2015 2:01 am

The slot in panels is a good. I can imagine weapon racks, cabinets, robotic arms and consoles being attached to the walls.

An escape pod hatch would be quite cool too. anything to break up the repetitive detail.
think about how every corridor an every room on a ship has a certain function, rather than the space hulk norm which is just a scifi dungeon maze.

What you have so far is a good basis for something that could go way beyond space hulk scenery.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby Malika » Thu May 28, 2015 10:41 pm

I've been postponing hollowing out the wall components. Not because I don't want to hollow them out, but mainly because I got distracted by other things...

Very much inspired by I got intrigued by the idea of making separate bits that you could put on the existing model. So that you'd have the basic kit (walls and floors) but then can add all sorts of extra components on top of that. Rather than having to produce tons of different walls and such.

So first up, another wall panel variant:

It's supposed to be a safe, or a secret tunnel or something. I feel that it might need some more detailing though...

Pipes have always been a soft spot of mine, my first versions of these type of constructs included all sorts of advanced pipe systems running underneath the floors. This is sort of my tribute to those old versions. At the moment the pipe system consists of two components, allowing to connect to sides of the wall to one another. However, I might do some variants in case people make broader pathways and such.

Computer consoles are always a must in this sort of project. Here are two components, still very early WIP. The control console (the one on the bottom) still needs a whooooole lot of detailing and stuff added to it. The top one is almost ready, a few details here and there. However, both still need to be hollowed out to reduce material cost (both for printing and casting) and weight.

Of course there would have to be a wall panel variant with some larger screen and controls on it, but that'll be up next!
Malika
Junkie

Postby RageofAchilles » Fri May 29, 2015 2:24 am

Cool, I like where its heading :)
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri May 29, 2015 7:59 am

Yeah the tube and computer parts look great. The safe, as you suggest, does require some further detail or something. For instance, what are the four recessed cylinders in the corners? At least if they were hexagonal they would look like oversized bolt heads, but as it is they don't seem to have any function.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Sat May 30, 2015 6:50 am

Thank you for the kind words, and for the feedback!

One thing I'm trying to avoid with this design are the hexagonal bolt heads. I'd prefer to stick to round ones. But this is mainly for aesthetic reasons.

In the meantime I continued working on the safe:

Added a lot of detail to it. Got rid of those giant bolts on the sides, replacing them for smaller ones. Also added some other bits here and there, and fixed the doors, felt they were missing something...

Also continued working on the computer consoles. The 'console' component on the bottom part will probably be a separate bit, which will allow me to make a few variants with different buttons/handles/etc.

And yes, I've built a new pipe component... One thing of note, since I've taken this screen shot I've added a wide 'ring' around the beginnings of the pipes, where they connect with the walls, to make it look better. I think you call it a 'coupling' in English?
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sat May 30, 2015 8:00 am

It's Friday night and I'm lacking a social nightlife... :P

I've been toying with the idea of a wall component variant for a window. The tricky thing is that I don't like it to be just a big hole. Meaning I'll have to design an actual window component. Sadly enough that's not the difficult part, the tricky part will probably be the casting, but I think that shouldn't be impossible to solve. :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Sat May 30, 2015 8:34 am

For windows, you could create your window hole as normal, and then add a vertical slot into which you could slot a thin piece of clear plastic (could even be an acetate sheet or somesuch) or a printed image (such as a starfield, dense foliage, muddied windows), or a combination of both, such as bloody handprints on glass.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:45 pm

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:18 am

Lots of little things done. The holding mechanism of the gun turret can also be used to carry other equipment. I've included another weapon (a variant on my original energy pistol) and also a screen. Expect more stuff to appear soon. Would love to do some robotic arms and whatever else I can come up with...

The computer console has also received some attention. Still need to add some detailing on the top and build the mechanism to hold the keyboard component.

Also, the floor panels and ventilation grill wall variant have also been updated slightly.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:10 am

As you can see, I've continued working on the computer consoles:

The major update is the removal of the round screen at the top mounted console. I've replaced it for a smaller screen. This also allowed me to make another top component variant which contains two screens.

The existing 'computer' box has been updated as well, mainly some detailing. I'm currently working on making a mechanism for it that allows players to put different keyboards/controllers on top. At the moment I've got two types of controllers, but there will probably be a few more just for the cool factor.

The bottom bit (bottom left, light grey device) has been completed as well. I guess it'll be some sort of plug hub, allowing other devices to be connected to it or something.

I still haven't made a wall plate that contains a large screen. So for now the walls are covered with the wall plates I've already had (the safe and ventilation shaft).
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:25 am

Nothing really new, just copied the floor and wall pieces a bit to get a more complete view:

Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:27 am

Something about that floor doesn't appreciate being tiled like that...
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:41 am

I kinda know what you mean, but I can't really put my finger on it. :(
Malika
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling