[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Modelling bits for 3d printing
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Modelling bits for 3d printing

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Modelling bits for 3d printing

Postby Malika » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:31 pm

But then I need to find a caster who is interested in taking care of that part of production/distribution. Sadly enough I don't have the time/energy/skill to take care of all that other stuff, then split the sales incomes, or something.

In the meantime, I quickly doodled this together, as a distraction:

It needs a lot of tweaking, tried to put it on Shapeways, but it mentions there are all sorts of thin parts which need to be fixed. Above that, printing it is too expensive at the moment. Will probably try to make it multipart, so that you can add the shelves in yourself. That way I can hollow out the books.
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:59 am

A little distraction:
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:20 am

Put the rifle in the hands of 32mm tall models (I know GW is officially 28mm scale, but most miniatures tend to be 30-32mm tall).

Sadly enough I don't have a cool looking Sketchup Face-Me (human model used as a basis), used to have some Imperial Guard units in the past from the Anargo Sector Project, but I lost them. This means I found somebody else's Cadians, who seem to have more realistic proportions rather than the typical heroic scale stuff.

Here you can see them running through a new terrain project I'm working on...

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:38 am

The cannon is an interesting design ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:54 am

In the meantime I've shrunk the gun to 75% of its original size, making it 18mm long, it looks a lot better on a 32mm scale miniature:

Note that the human figures I've used here aren't mine, I borrowed one from just to get the proportions right.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:21 am

Got a bit sidetracked...

Instead of learning Blender so I can design some humanoid models, I found . Another great open source program which enables me to easily make the human form. Now of course I'm still running into the problem of giving this human armour, but for now it allows me to make human heads with different features. Also...it allows me to add bionics on them!

But first I've got to decapitate a human and import him to SketchUp:
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:31 am

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:18 am

Wow the makehuman thing is cool! Are your resulting meshes supposed to be so wrinkly looking and polygonal?
mangozac

Postby mel_danes » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:10 pm

@Mangozac
The model has no surface smoothing applied, it is per face smoothed. The resulting print would come out faceted as well. It would need subdivision to look good.
mel_danes
Casual

Postby Malika » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:08 am

Hmm, toyed a bit with SketchUp and guess I can smooth out stuff!

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:19 am

Much better!
mangozac

Postby Malika » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Hmm, sadly enough this is only the SketchUp look. I tried to see waht they'd look like when printed, and then the whole wrinkly and polygonal look came back. :(

Guess I really do need to start learning other software, which isn't so bad in itself.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:00 pm

Stop using Sketchup for organics! ;)
Also, that is one square head!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:14 am

You mean the general shape of the head or the polygonal look?
Malika
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling