[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Blast from the past - Malika's old ship designs
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Blast from the past - Malika's old ship designs

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Blast from the past - Malika's old ship designs

Postby Malika » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:45 am

So I found my really old photobucket account with all sorts of ships I designed in the past. I might look into them again, tweak them a bit and put them up on Shapeways. Let me know waht you think! :)

Imperial Warpike:

Dagger Class Corvette:

Harbinger battleship:

Broadside Carrier:

- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Re: Blast from the past - Malika's old ship designs

Postby Malika » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:34 am

The Warpike will be altered a bit to have larger weapon batteries instead of all those small broadside turrets. I'll probably shrink the ship somewhat so it can stand in as a .

The dagger will need some heavy modification, but then it will become a destroyer, or maybe even something smaller.

The Harbinger will have more details added, maybe a few turrets on top, making it a larger transport ship.

The Broadside Carrier will need to be widened up, and then shrunk, to make it a nice alternative for the .
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:41 am

Now those are some blocky looking ships! When did you make them?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:15 pm

I made those ships about two ago.

Sadly enough I've got some bad news regarding these. Last night I went looking through my old external hard drive to find the original Sketchup models of these, and well..the hard drive basically died, meaning I've lost access to all those files.

However, these ships are rather simple, I can redo them in a couple of hours at most. It does provide me to improve the design. And well.... I've kept a soft spot for the eagle head prow, maybe these ships could be come 'Aquila pattern' ships or something. However, I'll probably keep the blocky variant as well.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:28 am

And after a couple of hours I've got the front part of the ship ready. Now I need to do the engine, bridge and that sort of thing.

Plan is that this fellow will be a light cruiser, comparable to the Defiant Class Light Cruiser from BFG. But I'll tweak it slightly more to stay on the safe side. But I think the design so far is original enough. Expect it on Shapeways in the coming days/weeks. (unless somebody would be interested in casting it...)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:33 am

Thanks dude! I hope the printing will be able to handle the details. That's why some of them seem slightly bigger (like those studs).

In the meantime I've updated the design slight to match the Imperial Warpike. Also to move it slightly away from being too clearly GW.

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Teaser...

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:28 am

The silhouette looks good, however I still really dislike the giant eagle head prow. IMO it makes the ship look like a parody of itself.
mangozac

Postby Islacrusez » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:52 pm

@Mangozac: I know what you mean. This project however, is more with BFG/40k in mind. So no worries, it has nothing to do with my other ship project. BFG design is already a parody on itself, I mean...cathedrals in space shooting it out as if it's the Age of Sail? ;) I wanted them to look very megalomanical and insane almost.

No new pictures yet, hopefully later today or tomorrow. My main activity is removing details. I notice one failing many 3d printed models on this scale have is that people try to make the details too small. The eye simply can't see them. So I've been chunking them out a bit. Note that if you look at the official BFG models, they are actually not THAT detailed...
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:59 pm

I disagree - Imperial ships are not at all a parody. The gothic inspired architecture and cathedral style may be unorthodox and extremely impractical, but as a style it is very regal and conveys the Imperial psyche very well.

Imperial prows may indeed have large eagles on them (note that they almost always include the wings as well, stylising the eagle more), but this is exactly the same way that sailing ships used to have figureheads. While you may not feel that practically there is little difference between an eagle head on the prow and the prow being an eagle head, aesthetically the difference is night and day.

I understand your intention of trying to convey megalomania through the eagle shaped prow, but I just don't feel that it's effective. Ultimately it's your project so you should do things the way you want, however after the amount of scratchbuilding I've done in that style I feel that I'm qualified to make these comments ;)

Out of curiosity, what do you think of modern 40k Chaos designs (I'll tell you why I ask after you reply ;))?
mangozac

Postby Malika » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:43 am

I'd just add wings on the wings, and call it there; should work. Perhaps some inspiration from the Silver Falcons display team scheme?
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:38 am

Almost done...

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:03 am

mangozac

Next

Return to Digital Modelling