[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Robots - 3d modeling
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Robots - 3d modeling

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Robots - 3d modeling

Postby Malika » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:00 am

Once again I got inspired into doing something else! This time I blame it on . For a while now I've been tempted to design a bunch of robots and sell them on Shapeways. This would be a side project of a sorts: no big narrative (as in storyline), nothing too dark/serious. It's primarily a fun and light hearted thing. I want the robots to have something scrapyard-like to them, but also something rather cute, almost cartoony...

I've started working on one, there will be the usual challenges:
1) how do I keep the printing costs as low as possible?
2) how far can I go with the detailing?

Here an early WIP:

Legs still need to be added and then I need to go through some additional details. I'd imagine the complete model to stand at about 4-5 centimeters.
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Re: Robots - 3d modeling

Postby Malika » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:57 am

So I continued working on this little fellow. It's almost done, but I'm not really happy about the feet and legs yet. Any suggestions?

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:08 am

That diorama is stunningly beautiful. I especially love the tools, cables and test equipment!

For some inspiration in a similar style check out Walter Pezzali:

Your progress so far looks good, but I'm still dubious about the overall level of detail for the size you're planning. 40-50mm in height I'd expect a lot more detail than you have. One of the problems with many 3D models is that they lack a "layered" effect. You want to make sure it looks like it's composed of layers of metal (endoskeleton - mechanics - "skin" panels) rather than just blocky shapes merged together.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:50 am

I know what you mean. I notice most of the 'details' I've been adding are surface things, which is entering the 0.2 and 0.1mm territory, which will be difficult with printing. However, the model currently looks rather bland.

Your suggestion of the layered effect is very interesting. I am tempted to re-design this fellow and really go for that approach, so build a skeleton and some mechanics on it, then give it a casing.
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:25 am

I do think the layered approach would make all the difference ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Me too! It will make the robot actually look convincing! If I'd also separate the layers as different components (at least in the model, perhaps not in the print), I could be able to print separate endoskeletons, mechanics, and skin panels. If one would ever want to make a repair or damaged style diorama or play with that idea. :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:41 am

The beauty of SketchUp is the ease of use. For the things it is designed for, it is unmatched in how easy it is to pick up and go; it can take weeks to learn how to do the same in other programs. I suppose the investment to learn will pay off eventually, assuming you succeed.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:42 am

Not necessarily back to the drawing board. Iterate with these things in mind. Story is certainly important, but be prepared to overrule it in the name of coolness!
Gather a selection of reference photos together (Filbot, Wall-E, ABC Warriors etc.!) in a folder and spend a little time thinking about where you would like to take the design.
Sketchup's ease of use is matched only by it's limitations ;)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:58 am

Hmm, I might go for something cruder soon...especially since you mentioned the ABC Warrior! But first things first...working a bit on my space ships again, but mostly space ship interiors!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Now I don't feel too bad about the number of projects I have on the go ;)
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:36 am

Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:32 am

That's more or less exactly how it goes for me. I've currently got that corvette piece going, the turret packs, the gothic weapon packs, the airship combat system I started (though I'm perma-shelving that for now) and now a BFG-inspired space combat system. Now I want in on some of this interior action too, and as much as I'd love robots I think I'd sit that particular exercise out ;) I've also got an Imperial Guard army I'm borrowing that I need to paint, 40k rules to learn, I've got an unfinished Spitfire model on the go, a Defiant model, a Bismarck model, and a B-17 model (perma-shelved).

Believe me, I know the feeling ^^
Islacrusez
Habit

Next

Return to Digital Modelling