[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Best 3d Printers?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Best 3d Printers?

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Best 3d Printers?

Postby lastspartacus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:58 am

So I guess ideally US based, anywhere works. Really, there seems to be little general knowledge about the best places to get your master molds printed. Besides Shapeways and some on this site with their own, Moddler is the only place I know of with very high quality prints, though costly. I'm just trying to see if there is any kind of competitive market out there, I'm thinking there has to be more than what is currently known.

I spoke at a convention that 3d printing is kind of a catch all turn for processes like objet, perfactory, etc. As a guy trying to get top notch master molds, I'm just trying to poll the pool and broaden my horizons.
lastspartacus
User

Re: Best 3d Printers?

Postby mangozac » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:09 am

I had the Fiddler kit printed by . It's a good service, but far from cheap. I guess the prices are fair for the quality/resolution.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:02 pm

Vision Proto are fantastic, basically the best quality you'll get. I think they use Envisiontec Perfactory. They are based in Texas, I think?
The downside is the cost and cleaning off the support pins, as it can be hard to work with.
Wax prints are also amazing, with no support material, but it is easy to damage the surface.
Perfactory is the process used by Hawk Wargames for the Dropzone Commander miniatures.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:03 am

Yeah cleaning up the supports was a big pain in the butt, that's why I generally recommend people use wax based printing processes if they're planning to do resin copies of the part.
mangozac

Postby Malika » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:37 pm

But if it's so easy to damage the surface, won't it get damaged during transport? Isn't the wax super soft?
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby lastspartacus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:49 am

I got to talk to Dave, the Dropzone Commander guy at Templecon for a couple hours. First time I'd heard 'perfactory', but I couldn't figure out who did it and what exactly it was.
lastspartacus
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:52 am

mangozac

Postby Deadmeat30 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:21 am

perfactory is made by envisiontec. about £40k worth of kit.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby lastspartacus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:02 am

Sounds cheaper than some high end printers? I thought that was like, the fancy new method.
lastspartacus
User

Postby Fleafa » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:49 am

I have never had any trouble with wax, but I always treat it with care. It isn't going to melt in your hands but a determined fingernail could cause damage.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Digital Modelling