ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Resin Addict Forum Retirement

Discussion of digital modelling techniques: 3D modelling and 3D printing.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Resin Addict Forum Retirement

Postby AvidReader » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Could viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1371 be moved to public part?

As for old phpbb, it must be (footer reports copyright up to 2007), because I tried to use "report post" for this request, and found no button (it could also explain the spam running amok, if there is no way to help). That, or it is hidden from some/new user accounts.
AvidReader
Casual

Postby Islacrusez » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:59 pm

I don't know if a brief respite would help too much (though I certainly won't say no to it). For me it's mostly that this forum is the one I call home. In a way I like that it is quiet here, because you know everyone; you know all the regulars, what they do, and you can read every single post. A place with a daily turnover of hundreds of posts... I don't know, it's a very different environment.

What's causing the maintenance headache for you? I know we're getting overrun with spambots, and I'm sure that takes time to deal with. What else goes into the running of the site and forums? Is there anything that the community can help with?
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby TomG » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Don´t use phpBB, because I use SMF. But both are similar and in PHP. Question is, how much is this forum changed from default template. Because after update of code and scripts, it will switch it back to default and you need to change it back. And after another update again.

This is why I´m still gathering strength to update from own forum. Need update from 2.0.2 to 2.0.13. :D
Don´t remember what all I changed from default. :D Because you need make changes in scripts, if you added some new functions not only few graphics changes.

I can understand, why Zac don´t want to do it. :D

Another thing is, that you need pay for domain and website hosting.
Only the Best Can Survive.
TomG
User

Postby AvidReader » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:06 am

To figure what you change, you use a revision control system (git, hg, bzr, svn, cvs and such). Or even plain old diff tools against a clean original copy, if you have to do it now. That way at least you can see what you did and try to apply to the new version faster.

It means learning some new things, but saves time down the road, as they apply to many other things where tracking changes is useful (anything that is text can easily be kept that way, and non text data too, if you pick the right tool). Sometimes the tools can perform the changes for you without intervention, if they can figure the right place based in context.
AvidReader
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:11 am

If I recall correctly I don't think I applied any mods to the forum, so updating isn't too difficult. I simply don't have the time or inclination to do it :(
Although the footer copyright says 2007 the forum framework has definitely been updated since then!

I do feel bad to take away the only forum that some of you call home, but to me there simply isn't enough regulars here to make it worth continuing running. It's not so much that it's a headache to run - I've pretty much neglected it for the past year but I'm sure everybody has noticed the subsequent issues with spam, etc. Plus, most of the posts are random people who come and ask a question (that in many cases should be asked of the resin manufacturer) and then leave.

Ultimately, the Resin Addict "brand" is still attached to my name, and if I'm no longer actively working with it I don't really want to just leave it out there in the hands of others.

I'm going to lock the forum from new members now. Let's see what happens in the coming month or so.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 am

Ah, alas I completely understand that sentiment. It might be our home, but ultimately it is your house.
Islacrusez
Habit

Previous

Return to Digi-lab