[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - sweaty resin.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

sweaty resin.

Tutorials and resources. Beginners start in here!

Moderator: Wardens

sweaty resin.

Postby Blindhorizon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm

So a piece i'm trying to cast has came out sweaty twice. By sweaty I mean, shiny and slick to the touch even after washing with soap water and a toothbrush.

Is this because of the mould, or did i not mix the resin enough? Which is odd because i cast other pieces on the same pour and they are fine.

With sweaty pieces will primer stick to them or are they a total waste?

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Re: sweaty resin.

Postby mangozac » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 am

I wouldn't bother trying to use them. You may get the primer to take for the time being, but it may just peel off again in the future.

I believe it's from not mixing the resin properly. Just because the rest of the casts from that mix are OK means nothing: it may have been just one area of the cup that didn't mix when you were stirring, which made itself into just one part. Always mix for a little longer than you think you need to!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Blindhorizon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks mango!
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:44 pm

I have had this from incorrect ratios and old, cheap resin. Poor mixing could do it.
I measure with a syringe and mix in a cup. I then pour it between two cups a few times.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Pinselknecht » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:38 pm

Because your other casts are good I belive in wrong mixing or mixing ratio!
Biggest problem are the resin mixed by volume, that is not correct!
Always mix by weight!!!
Your onlineshop for miniature hobby:
Pinselknecht
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Pinselknecht » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:12 pm

Yes, but I never got any professional resin with mixing by volume. These resins are made for hobby use or from smooth on! Professional ones are always by weight to be able to add filler or other additives.

Mixing by volume is never prezise, it has a leak of minimum 3-5 % just by the concave survace of the resin, and you never have the survace in level!

This leak means a big effect on the resin itself and its hardening prozess!

The same problem ocure if you have the wrong mixing beaker with no flat bottom. You have one part traped on the bottom and this part is going into the rest of at the pouring process!
Your onlineshop for miniature hobby:
Pinselknecht
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Fair point. I'm using Smooth-On, making small batches, and measure with 2 60ml syringes. The margin of error is small enough that I never have this problem. I use cups with no flat bottom, but pour several times between two, which eliminates that problem.
I doubt most people here won't be able to buy in the volume required to get pro resins.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Advisory