[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Pressure Casting Equipment
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Pressure Casting Equipment

Tutorials and resources. Beginners start in here!

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Pressure Casting Equipment

Postby mangozac » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:19 pm

I guarantee you that a pot rated to 45 PSI will actually be able to handle double that. It's your standard basic safety margin. Not that I'm suggesting anybody fits a 90 PSI safety valve to a pot rated to 45 PSI though...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Anvils Hammer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Yep I know this, I also know that the double safety margin in there for a reason :D

some where in the world is a pot with a dodgy weld which will explode at 70PSI, it could be sitting upstairs in my room.. I dont make enough money with this job to take the risk!

At some point Im going to get this or somthing similar-

http://www.spraydirect.co.uk/acatalog/1 ... tator.html

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:10 pm

That's the one I wanted before everyone said it's too expensive =p

I've specifically emailed the guys at Axminster about the psi.
It went like :
Me: "the Operating Pressure: 50 - 80psi confuses me. Only the maximum is usually stated, so can you guarantee I can operate it at 80psi without risks ?"
Axminster: "The operating pressure of 50-80psi is used for different materials that are being sprayed. A thin watery ink will need a different pressure to an emulsion. The pot is perfectly safe at 80psi."

If the pot is actually 50psi max and not 80psi I can guarantee you it won't stay at my place for a long time, especially after I asked about it BEFORE buying it. I don't care that I can operate it at a higher psi, I intent to stay alive and in one piece. Anyway I'll keep you informed once it is there, shouldn't be long now.

I found the link I mentioned earlier too: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f43/cat ... dow-51588/ uuh *shivers*

My compressor arrived yesterday and it is the most beautiful piece of equipment of all creation <3
*swoon*
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby mangozac » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:57 am

If that's what they are telling you then it's extremely unlikely to be a problem, and you probably won't even need to replace the safety valve.
mangozac

Postby Anvils Hammer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:26 am

Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:54 am

Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby mangozac » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 am

mangozac

Postby Anvils Hammer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:00 pm

I unhook the air hose from the compressor with quick release fittings and then the air exits along the 5m hose, which is loud but not to bad.

When I want to use the air release valve, I have ear defenders. But then again I use ear defenders for the compressor, the vacuum pump, the air release valve and loudest of all- my bench circular saw!!

Best £8 I ever spent.

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 pm

*offers ear defenders to neighbors* what ? ;_;

Not that you care but I have to say here I am an idiot, I misspelled my address for my lovely pressure pot and as you UK mates know there is no name on the mailboxes. Hopefully the neighbor wasn't here when it arrived at his place so it was still at FedEx depot and not lost in the wilderness. It could have been here since Monday though ;_;
It will be here tomorrow but omg the panic attack ><;

Edit: ok so stress-girl went to the FedEX depot get her parcel.

Zac: how do I figure out if I need to replace the safety valve?
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Fleafa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:50 am

This is the pot I bought and I've not changed the safety valve. I cast around 60.
I recommend oiling the bolts which hold the lid on. Makes it easier to tighten/loosen and should help with wear.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Anvils Hammer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:13 am

Well damn.. those bolts look real easy to do up as well..

EDIT- hang on, your photo shows the "speed bolts" as I call them which are awesome, but the image on the website shows the "wing nut and washer" style which is on my current pots.. think I might need to ring them to confirm exactly what they can send me..

£164 including VAT.. that is an absolute steal!! Im half tempted to get two and just flog my current pots on ebay..

I get very few/ no air bubbles at 45psi with vacuum pouring, so if I ran it at almost double that the bubbles would be none existent.. :mrgreen:

double the pressure equals one eighth of the volume.. bye bye bubbles!!

Definatly going to pick one of these up..

Then I just need to find a way to heat them a little.

My theory is that resin cures up really really fast at 30 degrees C, and quite slowly at 15 degress, with 20-25 being optimal.

To maximise my casting capacity with my existing equipment I need to get the trays in the pressure pot for as little time as possible, so when I get a workshop, Im going to rig up a system in which the pressure pots "sit" in a wooden box which is heated to 35 degrees C.

Pour the resin at room temp and then put them in the pressure pots for 10 minutes untill cured but still soft, take them out of the pressure pots and leaving on a tray in the "curing oven" for another 20 mins or so..

Oh the potential *cackles manically*

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:19 am

New pots are so pretty :)

If the pot has a stated working pressure of 80 PSI then as Fleafa says the safety valve will already be appropriately rated. I would recommend working at 60 PSI.

When does the compressor arrive?
mangozac

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:10 am

Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Fleafa » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:29 am

I considered buying Axminster's to use for degassing silicone and maybe clear PU. The low volume would make this speedy, but would it be worthwhile?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:01 am

mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Advisory