[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Pressure Casting Equipment
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Pressure Casting Equipment

Tutorials and resources. Beginners start in here!

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Pressure Casting Equipment

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 am

But but but ! Told ya I got this one ! http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-10 ... prod21334/ so 80psi.
I ordered it today <3 *bounces around*
So I should get the 70psi safety valve instead of the 75 you think ?

I read some shiver inducing topic once about a guy whose pot lid exploded.. ? errr... imploded..? Oh well you probably stumbled upon that at some point. It was really scary. It was because he tempered with the equipment in a bad/non secure way for all I remember (tiny head).
Safety is part of why I bug you SO much about getting the right pieces of equipment tbh.
I am not a plumber, this is like a quest with achievement right now (the achievement being "don't die when using the equipment like a girl").

No idea about RS, I googled "valves UK" or so and I apparently suck at finding stuff online. I'll check at homebase (for the UK fellows) but apparently they don't have all sizes of valves.
That might seem weird but besides the train to visit my family/friends I never use public transport here nor did I try to learn how to.
I should have figured I was among Aussies and Englishmen here so whining about the road was pointless, no one can feel my pain xD
I live in the UK but I am French.

so male, female, inlet, outlet, which is which please ?
I can do this, I can do this....

Tutorial <3
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:53 am

Where in uk are you based?

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:10 am

Actually... same as you. WTFBBQ what are the odds!
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby mangozac » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:22 am

Oh sorry I missed the bit about the pot being rated to 80PSI. I just looked at the specs again and since it lists the operating pressure as 50-80PSI then there is a good chance that the relief valve may not need replacing! I would advise waiting until it arrives before you try to source a new one.

The hardware should have the valves and fittings in the sizes you need. Make sure you include the BSP part when specifying them as it is important. You only need three valves if the shot doesn't have any 1/4" BSP plugs. This will screw onto the space connection of the black regulator and blocks it off.

So the ideal shopping list is:

1x 1/4" BSP male quick connect coupling with male thread
1x 1/4" BSP ball valve male to female
1x 1/4" BSP plug
1x 3/8" BSP ball valve male to female
Teflon thread sealing tape to suit

If they ask what material they need to be (brass, steel, chrome, etc.) it doesn't matter - you'll take whatever is cheapest or they have in stock.

This will give you a very similar setup to Paulson as he posted (except a plug instead of one of the valves). There are more elegant ways to set things up, but for what you want to do this will be the quickest and easiest way to get started.

Edit: Well there you go you might be in luck - perhaps Deadmeat can hook you up with the right parts!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Nottingham?

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby blind pig » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:54 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Most of my fittings come from a friend who works for Rolls Royce, but I did buy some parts here:

I heated the pipe with a bunsen burner and then unscrewed it with a wrench:

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:21 am

well, in that case, if you want some help im not far away. more than happy to show you the process.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:25 am

Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:30 am

sounds like a plan! :) Ill pm you

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:15 am

I think it's going to be much easier if Deadmeat can help you set it up in person! That's great!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:35 am

Who does your BF work for up there?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:11 am

mp \o/
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby Anvils Hammer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:09 pm

Ive looked at getting higher rated pots (80 psi) for higher pressure casting, but the ones ive found have been £400+

I found some which were rated that high for cheap, but I emailed and they said it had been a mistake, and that they were actually rated 45psi.

When you get your pot can you confirm its actually labled 80PSI on the pot itself, cos if it is, for that price its a steal and ill pick one up.

I know from accidental experience, that my 45PSI rated pots actually go up to around 65PSI before the safty valve blows,I just dont want to die...

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

PreviousNext

Return to Advisory