[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Help with DragonSkin
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Help with DragonSkin

Tutorials and resources. Beginners start in here!

Moderator: Wardens

Help with DragonSkin

Postby MessinWithResin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:40 am

I am currently attempting to cast a Dragon Skin (platinum cure silicone rubber) suit to fit over a one-sixth scale action figure. The mold that I am using to attempt to make the suit is made of urethane resin. I have made 4 castings so far and have had no luck with any of them. I am experiencing issues with several voids and thin spots throughout the casting. I am using a pressure pot but that does not seem to help at all. Is there any advice that anyone might have as to what I may be doing wrong? I'm new here so I do apologize if this question is in the wrong forum. Thanks all!
MessinWithResin
Casual

Re: Help with DragonSkin

Postby Fleafa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:24 pm

I don't know that anyone here has experience casting silicone. Hopefully, someone does!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:08 am

Theoretically it should be the same as casting a really thick resin. Pressure only isn't going to cut it - you need to vacuum the silicone in the mould first so that the voids you're experiencing are removed.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:20 pm

What type of mold are you using? If a 2 part mold perhaps you could paint the detail into the mold halfs then sandwich them together and squeeze the excess out?

Just a thought,
Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Return to Advisory