I am one of the 'crazy' high CFM vacuum pump users. My pump is a 10 CFM unit that pumps down to -27mm Hg in about 20 - 30 seconds on my paint pot. If I do one batch of about 200ml at a time, I can get away with degassing the pinkysil.
I have had one unfortunate occurance when the pinkysil wouldnt collapse during degassing. I found out that this was because it had set.
Just had a look at the TDS and it sounds interesting. Same price as the Pinky so I'm not sure what the advantage would be for the stuff I'm going. I'd be worried about it warping larger mechanical parts - might be fine for figures and the like though?
Quite possibly. It was prompted by someone on WAU asking questions...
I'm actually quite surprised how much product Barnes apparently sell to people who walk in off the street and decide to have a go at making something as a weekend project. I would have thought the silicone and resin costs too high for someone who just wanted to dabble with casting something random like jewellery!
I think I need to stop recommending that everyone use 4PU though: they still didn't have any in stock when I dropped in on Saturday. It's apparently a month overdue! I've got my name down and will have to get them to post me some when it comes in
Resin jewlery making is a growing hobby amongst the Tupperware Society.
The Saturday Courier Mail (or was it Sunday C M?) a couple of weeks ago had a two page story on a Mum who started producing her own bangles (using Barnes pre-made moulds) and has grown it to a nice little business. She was imbedding all sorts of stuff as well as colours into clear resins and selling them......
You should grow-up and buy some bigger containers of 4PU, Zac, that way you won't run out
I saw a neat trick for those of you doing split molds. freemansupply has a video advertising their clear silicone rubber for moldmaking. What they did was attach some clear tape to one edge of the part they wanted to mold and then use a marker to color the outside edge of the tape. After the clear silicone had cured, you could see the black marks on the edge of the tape. It made it easy for them to cut down to the tape when the demolded the parts.