[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Respiratory Protection for Resin Casting
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Respiratory Protection for Resin Casting

Tutorials and resources. Beginners start in here!

Moderator: Wardens

Respiratory Protection for Resin Casting

Postby Pinselknecht » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:28 am

Hey Friends of resin casting,

In an other threat we were talking about respiratory protection during resin casting.
So I would like to give these advice to all of you, because casting resin, exspecially if you are casting a lot and dont have an exhaust fan, you need a special respiratory protection.

I suggest you to buy a 3M mask, because these are high quality and you can get spare parts easyaly!

Buy a mask of the series 6000 or 7000 or 7500, which is the best choice! You can change the filters at theses and reuse the mouth-nose part.

I recomend you the filter wiht hte number:
6057 (ABE1, cheaper but defenitely what you need!)
or
6059 ABEK1, more expensive, adsorbes more chemikels)

Additional you need the Particle-Filter P3 (Number: 5935)!
This filter is needed to get rid of the aerosols Resins are producing!

Alternative you can buy the Halfmask Series 4000 plus Number 4277 (Filterclass FFABE1P3RD).
This one has to be replaced regulaly!

Go on

PK
Last edited by Pinselknecht on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinselknecht
Casual

Re: Respiratory Protection for Resin Casting

Postby Deadmeat30 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:40 am

Purchased :D thanks for the post! Zac this worth a sticky? as we dont want members dying. We need their posts after all :P

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Yes PK thank you for the advice (especially regarding the choice of 3M masks). I have moved this thread into the "Advisory" forum with all of our other references.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:46 am

What type of resin are these recommendations made for?
I always wear a mask when working with Polyester resin, which is really nasty stuff, but often go without when working with Polyurethane resin, which is the one most commonly used by our members.
I would imagine Polyester requiring better filters than Polyurethane, but may be wrong.
The Polyester has an extremely powerful odour, but I can't smell it through my mask :)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Pinselknecht » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:48 am

It is the MDI which is making trouble.

The recomended filters are for any cyanoacrylate and isocyanate products. 3M is not making any other or better filter for PUs or PEs.

By the way, PEs dont have any isocyanate as I know. They are just smelling strong. So the recomended filter is more than necessary!

PK
Pinselknecht
Casual

Postby Deadmeat30 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:51 am

The amount of casting I do, and shall be doing ild get a mask no matter what I was using, lol. How often should the filters be changed?

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby Pinselknecht » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:51 am

I am changing them every month!
If you use them dayly for more than 6 hours, change them weekly!
Pinselknecht
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:30 pm

While the Polyester resins might not contain potential carcinogens like MDI as Polyurethane does, the vapours from them certainly contain other nasties that are very bad for you (as evidenced by the strong, offensive smell). The last job in the world you want to be is a fibreglasser - many of those guys end up with really bad poisoning from the resin fumes that, while not fatal, certainly degrades their quality of life.

But it is important to note that the MDI contained in polyurethane has not yet been proven as a carcinogen: it is just a suspicion. And even then we don't know if such carcinogenic properties would be applicable through just breathing in the vapours or is skin contact required?

Ultimately it's up the the individual to assess the risks and decide just how much protective equipment they wish to wear, but for the hobbyist doing just the occasional bit of casting the risk is very low. Low enough that I don't bother with any breathing apparatus (and I'm not a careless person). Like anything, exercise common sense: ensure that you have plenty of ventilation and try to avoid breathing in any quantities of vapours.
mangozac

Postby Pinselknecht » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Hey Mangozac,

you are right, but i was tought that you have to avoid every risk ;)
Mask, gloves and glasses are essential!

To buy the wrong mask means, to build up a higher rist than without mask. The wrong filter accumulates (adsorb) the MDI or other stuff and gives it free (desorb) when a certain concentration is reached. After that point, you are inhailing more MDI or other stuff!

The right filter with the right active coal adsorbs all MDI and does not desorb it that easy...only if you extend the filters live!

And yes, MDI is carcinogen level IV which means, that it is potential. But this means a higher risk than other chemicals. The point for level IV is, that you cant proove it that easyly. For example, you are casting resin for years and you are a smoker. You cant prove which is the source, because both take long time to take hold!

And yes, as a hobbiist who is casting in a good aired room, you can only use glasses and gloves. But you need fresh air as you need it for priming your stuff with a spray marker!

PK
Pinselknecht
Casual

Postby plaztix » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:26 am

Hello,
I work with polyesters and the are very hazzardous to your health. They contain styrenes,methyl methacylate, vinyl toluene, ketones,cobalt napthanate and dimethylanaline just to name a few.

The styrenes are a highly toxic aromatic hydrocarbon solvent which can cause narcosis, respiratory system irritation, liver and nerve damage, and is a suspect carcinogen.

Polyester is catalyzed with MEKP which can cause blindness if any gets into the eyes.
They also flash at 88 degrees so, keep away from heat sources and open flames until cured.

Every precaution should be utilized with polyesters (as well as any other chemical) with respirators classified for the product(s) being used, safety glasses, gloves, and a ventilation system would be best.

Cast Safe...
plaztix
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:46 am

Some more good advice; thanks Plaztix!
mangozac

Postby Anvils Hammer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 pm

At Anvil we use the 3M 6000 Full face mask with A1 filters at the moment, but about to upgrade to a2 just to be safer. We dont use dust filters.

We do all our casting in a separate screened area with a full ventilation set up - all air leaving the vacuum pump or any pressure pot is fed straight into the extractor which puts it all through a nice tall chimney! We also have an extractor hood over the mixing area.

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Strawman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:36 am

Hey all, sorry to necro this thread, but I cannot find any north american business that sells the 6057 ABE1/6059 ABEK1 3M cartridges, or the number 5935 P3 Particle-Filter. I was able to find the A1 6051 cartridges, but with $30 shipping.
Is it possible that these recommendations are outdated or region specific? If so, does anyone have any other recommendations that would be more accessible to americans?
Strawman
Casual

Return to Advisory