[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Please Help! Air pockets are ruining my resin jewellery!
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Please Help! Air pockets are ruining my resin jewellery!

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Please Help! Air pockets are ruining my resin jewellery!

Postby Goon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi all,
Could use your help and advice here. I am the partner of a very frustrated resin addict. I am attempting to find an answer to a plague resin mystery. We are attempting to make some pendants with Chyiogami paper backs, sealed with nunn sealant and using Craftsmart Liquid Gloss. We are currently experiencing numerous air pockets after 24 hours of pouring and some days later, not to be confused with air bubbles. The air pockets are all shapes and sizes, however this occurrance only happens randomly in a few pendants. To manage this (thinking it is oil or dust), we have attempted to use wax and degreaser solvent followed by a tack cloth wipe in a dust free area. Unfortunately, after just 24 hours, small pockets are already emerging, from anywhere on the surface. Also, the size, shape or volume of the pendant does not affect this.
I will try to attach a photo soon.
Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers :)
Goon
Casual

Re: Please Help! Air pockets are ruining my resin jewellery!

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:59 am

Hi Goon,

The Craftsmart Liquid Gloss is an epoxy resin, which many of us on here don't have a lot of (or any!) experience with. From what I can tell it's not particularly intended for embedding objects - it's more of a protective coating system.

Have you tried doing it in multiple pours? Pictures will be helpful ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby FlowolF » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55 am

If it's an epoxy and it's not due to *'the usual suspects' it could be due to moisture contamination - at least of epoxy casting systems (incl. the clearcast one I use for some stuff) react to moisture by off-gassing during cure causing some odd looking bubbles .

Damp moulds, pigments, mixing cups, stirring sticks or even old resin/resin stored poorly can be sources of problematic moisture contamination.

Dunno if this is your problem but may be worth considering.

FlowolF - *Usual suspects - lack of/not enough degassing where appropriate/too fast a cure time for bubbles to settle out etc...
FlowolF
Casual

Postby plaztix » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:33 am

For jewelry applications, a polyester resin would be more suited. Epoxies are realtively soft and not intended to be used in thick applications. I assume you are attempting 1/8" or thicker.
I use polyester for pendants and cabachons frequently. Be sure to use a casting resin opposed to a lay-up resin. I cast objects large enough to utilize a quart at a time without the bubble issues.
If you need more info, let me know and I will do my best to help you.
plaztix
Casual

Postby FlowolF » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:51 am

FlowolF
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:23 am

Thanks FlowolF, that was very educational!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby FlowolF » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am

FlowolF
Casual

Return to The Waiting Room