[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Designing ships [possible BFG scale]
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Postby Malika » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:59 pm

For years I've been wanting to create my own ships. I started scratchbuilding some Ork ships (see some of those results ), but after that I stopped building ships for a long time.

Now with the wonderful opportunities of 3d printing and CNCing, I decided to give it another shot.

I've always been in love with the Homeworld ships, so I started designing something inspired by it. But I kinda notice the design has become something different...

a very wide picture. :)

Malika
Junkie

Re: Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Postby mangozac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:16 am

Welcome to RA, Malika!

Did you draw those sketches yourself? They look very cool! It's a great start and I can see the Homeworld influence, but as it currently stands I think the design is a little too much like a flying slab. I'd like to see some kind of protruding structures to give it some interest from the side view. Otherwise it might end up looking like a Firestorm Armada ship :o

Actually, you know what it reminds me of: the battlecruisers in the Fifth Element!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:42 am

Hah, Fifth Element! What a movie ;)

I do believe that the "drawn" effect is some sort of render/export/filter/thing.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:45 am

mangozac

Postby Malika » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Malika
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Communication's array, antennae and the such.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Malika » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 pm

But if the ship itself is meant to be around 1km long, wouldn't such an array then be way too small to model in such a way, or wouldn't it then look super oversized when done in a more conventional way?
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Here's some very quick sketching I just did. I think some fins near the read and breaking up some of the surface shape along the length would help a bit. Some antennae and sensor masts like Blind suggests might be a good idea too.

concept111_zpsba0a0620.jpg
mangozac

Postby Malika » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Hmm, I might try out a fin or something. I've always had a soft spot for bottom fins on the BFG ships (especially the Chaos cruisers). I might try something like that out.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:46 am

If she's only about 1km long, she's barely bigger than an Imperial Cobra-class destroyer D= Will be tiny if you're going BFG scale ^^
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:29 am

Huh, checked my sizes and can't even get a reliable figure for the length of a goddamn cobra xD
I have measures of ~900m, 1500m, and ~2700m. Anyone know which of those is accurate, if any?
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:39 am

BFG doesn't have a single set scale. Could have it that for me own project the ship could be 1km, but that same model in BFG would be a 4km long grandcruiser sized colonisation ship. :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:46 am

It could have a set scale, they just haven't bothered to tell us what it is ;)

But indeed, if your model is to be cross-system, it can be whatever you say it is at any given time ^^
Islacrusez
Habit

Next

Return to Digital Modelling