[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Mould materials for high temperature casting
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Mould materials for high temperature casting

Tutorials and resources. Beginners start in here!

Moderator: Wardens

Mould materials for high temperature casting

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:41 am

Anyone know how to approach casting with a material with a melting temp of ~600 degrees C? What can I make the mould from, how do I go about this, and what casting techniques can I use?

Getting to 600 degrees to melt the material shouldn't be difficult, though doing it efficiently and without setting the place on fire will be another matter... Tips on this are also much appreciated.
Islacrusez
Habit

Re: Mould materials for high temperature casting

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:38 am

You can get high temperature silicones but I'm pretty sure nothing that goes that high. I don't know of anything flexible that will allow that high a temperature. I assume traditionally steel or ceramic moulds would be used for that kind of thing.

You probably need to be enquiring with home foundry enthusiasts than Resin Addicts ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:11 am

Curses!

I was hoping to use aluminium instead of resin to reduce costs, by melting down aluminium cans from my friends' copious consumption of energy drinks and similar. I suppose a hard mould will do, but it does then create new constraints in the design, doesn't it?

I have had an idea on how to do it. blindhorizon has pointed me towards ninja magic... They do 3d printing in high-quality wax, and then investment casting into bronze. If I design my item in 3d, and then invert the design, have that printed instead and hey presto bronze moulds? There's a 300 degree difference in melting points, approximately (since both materials are alloys of unspecified mixes), so I should then be ok?

Only real problem will be the hilarity of designing it with fixed-mould constraints. But hey, if the professionals can do it... I'm so screwed xD
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:36 am

That is the most insane thing I've heard of in ages :P

Seriously man, just stick with resin. Way cheaper to set up, waaaay easier to do. Melting aluminium is no simple task and making moulds for stuff like that is serious business.
mangozac

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:30 am

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:50 pm

I don't think you understand just how much is involved in creating tooling to cast the aluminium. I reckon the cost of silicone to make several moulds will pale in comparison!
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Where on earth do you live in the UK that has you thinking there's only one place to buy silicone and resin? Why Oomoo? Smooth-On products are horribly expensive in this country but there are many alternative suppliers out there. There is a slightly outdated comparison of products from UK suppliers on here which I put together a little while back.
It sounds like you haven't thoroughly researched resin casting before embarking on researching something which is, quite frankly, daft for the hobbyist or semi-pro. The cost of heating the aluminium will not be small. How do you even expect to achieve 600C? Silicone may seem expensive but this is offset by convenience, safety and the relatively small cost of resin per cast.
What are you planning on casting?

Casting, like many hobbies, is not something one can get into without an initial investment in materials and, if serious about making profit, equipment.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Pinselknecht » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Hey,

you need mold sand and make sand molds out of it! That temperature means to cast metals like aluminium, but that needs 900 °C.
your master is a wax master witch will burn away while casting!

PK
Your onlineshop for miniature hobby:
Pinselknecht
Casual

Postby Islacrusez » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:10 am

I live in the south west, so any suggestions as to what I can use to make moulds and cast with is greatly appreciated. I've attempted to find other products, but since I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, it is difficult indeed.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Blindhorizon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:41 am

These guys are the pro's i started where you are and im not much farthur advanced from where you are either, heed their experience.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:38 am

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:12 am

Oooh, thank you kind sir! That makes the whole deal a whole lot more reasonable!
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Deadmeat30 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:15 am

I had a quote for a metal mould for my plastic injection machine...... over £4000 for a 10cmx10cm mould.... yes you heard that right... Spend some time looking over the wealth of infomation on this board, and see if resin casting is for you.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby Islacrusez » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:06 am

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:06 am

You'll want some gloves and a mask. Something to mix in and something to mix with. Plastic cups are cheap.
Their general purpose resin is polyester, not polyurethane. It takes longer to set, has an awkward mixing ratio, smells awful and is generally horrible to work with. It is also terrible to work with once cast.

Fleafa
Junkie

Next

Return to Advisory