[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - [BFG] Transports, now in 3D
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

[BFG] Transports, now in 3D

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

[BFG] Transports, now in 3D

Postby Islacrusez » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:18 am

You might recognise the shape from my other thread. That's right, I'm branching out into 3D and I figured I may as well start with what I've already designed - Imperial Transports.

The idea is to design in all the details I wanted to add but had neither materials nor tools to create, and then get it printed to cast. The fun part will be seeing how many faults I get back when I send it off, because I'm guaranteed to be doing something wrong! Much detailing still to do, but this has literally been the work of hours. Two, I think.
Islacrusez
Habit

Re: [BFG] Transports, now in 3D

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:01 am

Looks good so far!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:25 am

Minor snag hit, I'm trying to work smaller than sketchup will let me. Time to shoot off an email to the printer to see if they can scale at their end, so that I can scale up and keep working. In the meantime I can paint the real thing or work on a different section of the 3d... I think I'll paint.

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:05 pm

So far so good!

Many many years ago there was this project called the 'Anargo Sector Project', before FFG's 40k universe RPG material, we tried to create an entire Imperial sector in full detail. This also included artwork, one fellow named CELS made all these transport ship models in Sketchup, including the components, and offered them to us so we could build our own versions. Doubt it was meant to be then copied/sold/etc but it was cool nonetheless. I might have the files on an old harddisk somewhere...

's an example of what could have been done with these components. The guy also uploaded a whole bunch of his artwork to his .

For example:

Maybe a good inspiration to look at when making these ships. :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:15 pm

By the way, I found the components!

CELS was also the guy who wrote that article on Transport Ships for Warp Rift, look at .
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Heh, heh, huh. Oh dear! Makes my work a liiiiittle bit redundant!

Damn that's some nice work. I def want to do a weapons module similar to his victoria cargo module. Blindhorizon has informed me that my transports are cutting it too close to IP, which means I may need to abandon this particular model, so weapons modules will be my first port of call if that should occur.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Also check out the work of French BFG fan Deadly Kafeine:
mangozac

Postby Malika » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Wow, that guy is amazing!

I'm curious what software and printer he's using! :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:35 am

I can't remember what software he's using but they're printed by Shapeways.
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:45 pm

I want those prows and midship modules.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:50 am

mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Lovely though they are Zac, I already have a few! :P

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:04 am

My work on the transports has stalled for a moment due to accusations that I'm ripping off GW and that I'd soon find myself on the receiving end of a C&D notice and a hefty lawsuit. Any thoughts on just how close to GW material I'm cutting it?
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:44 am

Dede, the picture you've posted so far are still pretty generic, unless GW plans to C&D everyone who makes any kind of spaceship, which I really doubt...
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:57 am

It depends what you're planning to do with them. If they're only for personal use you can rip off as much as you want. But as Malika said most of the material in those modular designs is custom anyway

I can't believe this fear of GW is still so abundant :x
mangozac

Next

Return to Digital Modelling