[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Roto cast machine?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Roto cast machine?

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Roto cast machine?

Postby Elorhan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:41 am

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone here could possibly help me with finding a roto cast machine in Melbourne or know of someone who could build one?

Thanks
Elorhan
Casual

Re: Roto cast machine?

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:41 am

What size machine are you after? What do you want to rotocast? Is the motivation behind rotocasting so that the parts are hollow?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Elorhan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:10 am

Hi mangozac

Yeah, looking to make hollow casts. Using silicone molds with fibreglass shell. So far have been roto casting by hand, getting results we want, but looking for a way to speed up process, and save lifting! Would like to get one with the inside frame at least 25" preferably steal frame with ajustable speed.
Much like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofzg_Hjukzg
Elorhan
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am

If you're handy at fabricating things it wouldn't be hard to build a machine like you linked to. Does it need to be that big? Otherwise it would probably be easier and easier to just buy one off the shelf. I can't imagine getting someone to build you one would be cheap...

Here's some plans for a simple machine:
If you can build the mechanics I could probably hook you up with electronics...
mangozac

Postby Elorhan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Hey, Thanks for the link, have looked at quite a few different plans now and I know it seems easy but would be much more confident in getting someone else to fabricate or to help build if possible. Just feel have not had the experience or tools needed. Do you know of anyone here in Melbourne who would be able to build one, or where you can buy one off the shelf? Have been looking for quite a while, didn't know anyone sold them here! Seems to be very common in the states but not so here.
Elorhan
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:22 am

I don't know anybody in Australia selling them, nor do I have any potential fabricators down in Victoria I can recommend. 25" is quite large so I agree a metal frame may be required. What weight in resin do you want to cast? Either way it's going to be expensive if you can't DIY.
mangozac

Postby lastspartacus » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:23 am

I've been wondering about this myself. About how to make hollow ships when ultimately I start having to replicate 7" long battleships, to massively save in resin use.

So the answer is this 'rotocasting' thing?
lastspartacus
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:43 am

Rotocast is one option. I'd rather create the original part to be hollow with two halves and cast each half separately using the usual methods though.
mangozac

Return to The Waiting Room