[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Xeones Returns to Painting: Competition Mini
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Xeones Returns to Painting: Competition Mini

A gallery for completed projects only. Please share yours.

Moderator: Wardens

Xeones Returns to Painting: Competition Mini

Postby Xeones » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Since it's been ages since I've seriously painted anything (we're talking years here) I figured it was about time to get "back in the saddle" and try my hand at a higher level of painting than I usually manage for most of my projects. This guy was slowly progressing until the only gaming shop in the area announced that they were doing a competition to celebrate the release of the new Marine codex. I've never entered a competition of any kind with my stuff, and I figured I'd enter for the fun of it. Vaaish has already submitted his piece so my chances of a win are minuscule (short of treachery :mrgreen: ) but it's all in good fun, and at least I had a deadline to shoot for. I was a little rushed at the end so there are things I would re-work if I had the time, but submissions need to be in by noon tomorrow, so at this point, things are as good as they will get.

Overall, it was fun to do some more serious painting and it was refreshing to learn (and re-learn) some of the techniques I used on this guy.

Edit2: Images seem to be working now.
Xeones
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Xeones Returns to Painting: Competition Mini

Postby Blindhorizon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:17 pm

That dude looks fantastic i love your shading and highlighting. Your choice of space marine color is different too something i very much like. Terribly tired of the legacy chapters. I think you may be surprised on how well you place. Well done sir!

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Xeones » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks Blind. I'm hoping for second place. I haven't seen any of the other competition other than Vaaish's, but he said that there aren't a huge number of entrees and that they aren't fantastic so I think I've got a good shot. There's no prize for runner-up, but I'll get bragging rights and a chance to win a copy of the new codex (which, considering the prices of GW's stuff these days, is about the only way I'm likely to own a copy). :D

I'll be stopping by the shop later this morning to drop him off, so I'll get to see what other miniatures have been entered.

The color scheme is for my own DIY chapter, the Jade Dragons --though this mini's red armor --being a techmarine/Master of the Forge-- is not part of my primary scheme of muted blue-green and parchment.
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:06 am

Beautiful work mate. At first glance I thought it was Vaaish's work - I'm not sure if that's because it's your styles or the photography and background that's so similar :P

Not really anything to critique so I'll just say it's great to see some more hobby from you! Planning to do some more now?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:55 am

Zac,
Yeah, I convinced Aaron to photograph it while I was over at his place doing a few last-minute touch-ups the other night so the photography set-up was thanks to him.

So the competition just finished and speaking of Aaron, he won and got a new copy of the codex for his efforts so congrats to him! I was one of the finalists, but since there wasn't a second or third place awarded, all I know is that I was one of the top 6. Still, not a bad showing for my first competition. 8-)
Xeones

Postby Vaaish » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:12 am

Ah, I didn't realize you'd posted this guy already. Zac, I think you are seeing a large resemblance due to the setup for the photo. Nate's style is more contrasted than my own and a bit more weathered.

It's definitely nice for a back in teh saddle paint job and a crappy primer base to work from. Now if I can just get you to finish out the rest of your guys :)
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Xeones » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Xeones

Postby mangozac » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Out of interest, which of the two of you entered the hobby first? Obviously your painting styles are influenced by each other, but have either of you actively taught the other?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:21 am

We both started about the same time. Dawn of War was a very popular game for some time (still is). Eventually we got curious about 40k. I picked up battle for macragge and some paints and Nate picked up two crisis suits.

From there we started in on the some of the nid terrain and the Termagaunts as well as the Genestealers to get the hang of painting. I think Nate is the better painter between us. He's got a better eye for contrast and highlights and a steadier hand. At this point, I've just got a lot more experience under my belt with painting because he's been tied up with conversions.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Return to Solitary (Vaaish & Others Paint Stuff)