[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Finally some time to Build! BFG Black Ship
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Finally some time to Build! BFG Black Ship

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

Finally some time to Build! BFG Black Ship

Postby aussiekirgan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 am

Hi All,
One of the lurkers here, although lurking didn't stop me from acquiring some awesome conversion kits from our benefactor on this site :) In some of the images below you'll see some evidence of that.
In the midst of procrastinating on a few other projects (I'm a stay at home dad for 6 months so I suddenly have a little time), I thought I'd crack open some of Zacs goodies and do a bit of a conversion. I loved the style of the Black Ship conversion kit and had acquired 2, but thought I'd risk a few bits and see if I could build something even more intimidating. Based on the standard IN cruiser chassis, I wanted to stretch things out and give the Inquisition a scary heavy hitter of Grand Cruiser/ Fast BB class.
The first stage was to broaden and lengthen the profile, and after remembering I had some inquisition etched brass, thought I'd make a bit of a statement.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6yX4kP ... sp=sharing

You can see a bit of production line behind as well.. Wanting something that packs a punch but also can send a planet-terrifying host of drop pods and attack craft, I've used a set of launch bays and heavy batteries at the bottom front (underneath the symbol) is a modified weapons battery scoped as a planetary assault bay (drop pod launcher). I extended the wings for the look of it. I don't mind the glow on the Inquisition symbol, slightly metaphorical I thought...

For the Prow, I loved the Launch bay set but wanted to make it a bit more broad and threatening. So I used two.

And that's kind of where I'm at. I'm not sure whether about the side wings yet, Would love an opinion:

Overall, I'm happy - I haven't done much kitbashing in a while and I'm really enjoying getting back into it. I can't help but feel it looks like the WW2 BB Yamato had sex with a Klingon Bird of Prey (obscure?), but I like it.
Humbly submitted for judgement, flaming, suggestions, etc to my betters. And please let me know if the images work! I'd love to embed them but I don't know how.

Cheers,
Rob
aussiekirgan
User

Re: Finally some time to Build! BFG Black Ship

Postby Malika » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Not all of the photos work, also...why use google drive as a host? Can't you better put them on tinypic of photobucket? That way you can direct link them. :)
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby aussiekirgan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks for the tip malik i'll get that setup
aussiekirgan
User

Postby mangozac » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:44 am

Always good to see some of my parts out in the wild and in the hands of mates ;)

Interesting (and adventurous?) conversion work! The broadened prow looks good, however I'm not sure about using the two launch bays like that. I would have packed out the sides of a single launch bay.

The brass etch is a nice touch!

The main side wings I'm not sold on. Even without the vertical wingtip pieces they just look far too spindly. To make it work I think you'd need to bulk them out with a few layers of styrene on each side.

I personally use Photobucket for sharing images outside of Resin Addict, but I know imageshack and even imgur are as good if not better ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby aussiekirgan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks for the Feedback Zac,
Yeah I agree in retrospect with the prow bits, then I could still make a normal black ship :)
I'm not sure about where to go on the wings so appreciate the opinion. Because it's a long, lean ship, I don't know how chunky they need to be to be in proportion. But yeah agreed that it's not right just yet. I'm gonna sit it there for a while and hope for inspiration!

BTW I built some light cruisers and destroyers of a Zeus persuasion last night - very happy :)
aussiekirgan
User

Postby Commissar-Krad » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:22 am

I like the look overall, but I agree with zac that the wings look a bit too thin or long. If you want them that long then I think they need some beefing up. Or you can shorten them somewhat, I think that they would do better to be longer though.
Commissar-Krad
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 am

Even shortening the wings I still reckon they need bulking up (unless you go right back to the original length) - I don't think it will effect the lean feel you're going for.
mangozac

Postby Malika » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:14 pm

I still can't view all the images due to not all of them being shared accordingly or something.
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 am

Really? Only one of them doesn't work for me...
mangozac

Postby aussiekirgan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:25 am

They're all showing as publicly viewable, so I don't know what it is sorry - I'll get set up on one the other systems soon, so I'll make any updates on that.
aussiekirgan
User

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:56 am

The last one is the one giving problems.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby aussiekirgan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 am

Give it a go now someone - I think there is a glitch in the permissions.
aussiekirgan
User

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:47 am

Yup, works now.
Islacrusez
Habit

Return to Modelling