[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Wicket the ewok
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Wicket the ewok

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Wicket the ewok

Postby leaxe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:34 pm

A friend of mine sculpted this amazing ewok, that I would share with you for comments:

More pictures on his site:

http://vargamuhely.com/wicket/index.html
leaxe
Casual

Re: Wicket the ewok

Postby Fleafa » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:22 am

That is great. My nephew would like to know if it is chocolate.
That would be cute, but he is 21.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Very cool indeed! What scale is it? Cool to see that he is casting them too 8-)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Vorennaal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:50 am

Dear All!

My name is Varga Zoltán from Hungary and “leaxe” is one of my friends! I asked him to help me advertise this ewok sculpture, so I am responsible for this topic. I am just a freelancer artist, an amateur but Wicket is one of my favorite Star Wars characters, and that was the main reason I decided on to sculpt one and yes, there are several resins avilable, but private please, because I dont't want to be aginst any regulation!

Here is my story! :D

(I don"t speak english very well!)

I made this 10 cm high (!) Wicket sculpture for fun and because I found the official releases (Kenner) somehow inaccurate. He is my favorite character from the movie Return of the Jedi. When I was a kid, I lived with my family under communism till 1989. Fortunately the system was tolerable, therefore we had several Star Wars figures from the western marketplace. But each figure had a price. Once I saw an original Kenner Wicket in a tobacco shop, I was 7 or 8 years old at that time. My mother asked me to choose between that ewok figure and a tabletop game and I chose the tabletop game instead of the wicket figure. It was a hard choice, and I wanted that ewok figure so much, but I had a plan with the table top game. I wanted a fantasy kind tabletop game, which kind of games were not available in my country at that time and my parents bought some miserable game instead. () I grow up, but somehow I never had the chance again to get an original Kenner Wicket figure. Time passed and for the 30th anniversary of the Return of the Jedi movie, I decided to make an own sculpture, an accurate one, with a loyal face and body shape to the original movie look. But the original sculpture made by air dry clay and I immediately wanted to own a plastic resin. Therefore, on the picture, you can see the plastic resin, which isn’t a pirated bust, but my own personal creation!

I am happy now, because I successfully sculpted this little fellow and from my personal point of view (!) at least to me, this sculpt is way more movie accurate then the same in size Kenner figures. :D

if you are in willing (I thank You for that!), you can rate it on the following link!

Cheers:
Zoli
Vorennaal
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:07 am

Hi Zoli, welcome to RA!

I'm amazed that you actually made this with air drying clay! Do you ever work with epoxy putties for sculpting? Although I guess that would be fairly expensive when the figure is 10cm high ;)

I had a look through your site and you have some awesome props and other sculpts.

Did you do the resin casting yourself?
mangozac

Postby Vorennaal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Dear mangozac!

Thank You! It is really kind of you to phrase my work such a words! ;)

The truth is, I am just an amateur sculptor, so I have only a little experience on the field of making resin casts. This Ewok sculpture made (sculpted) by me, but another group made the resin cast and help me to reproduce the figures. This is my first quality sculpture what I made in the cooperation with the Sebitar Workshop. I made the figure, and they made the cast (and making the resins for me). I don’t have the necessary machine to reproduce any kind of figures on this level of quality. But I don’t mind, because my philosophy is; any team is better than working alone. And I am not a selfish person.

In time, there will be more sculptures and yes, there will be more resins available. But now, I would like to spread the Ewok figure…not for the money, but because my personal calling to reproduce a way more accurate Wicket sculpt than the official Kenner toys are (currently). I thought this lovely character already deserved a way more accurate bust, even if a lot of people don’t really like the ewoks. I already sell a couple of this bust and delivered to the United Kingdom and USA, but not much, and i have to be cautious, because Wicket as a character is under legal protection, and any lawyer does not care, that I produced it, I sculpted it, because it is under the protection of the law. But, a couple of this sculpt won’t hurt anyone. 

About the material what I using under the sculpting process; You have right, it is air drying clay, what I do like to use because of it’s cheaper price. I never tried any other materials but the mentioned epoxy putties already on my list! ;)

Cheers:
Zoli
Vorennaal
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Yes, you do have to be careful about the legalities of Star Wars subjects. But fortunately Lucasfilm have traditionally been very realistic and friendly when it comes to artisans selling a couple of pieces like this. Although that could change now it is owned by Disney...

I would suggest you check out Milliput - I think it's quite similar to air drying clay and is fairly inexpensive.
mangozac

Postby Vorennaal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Thank you for the advice dear mangozac! ;)
Vorennaal
Casual

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:41 am

I like him! Very nicely done. Might have to treat myself to one :D

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby Vorennaal » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:48 am

Vorennaal
Casual

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:48 am

Are those available? and how much are they?

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:38 am

Just ordered one :)
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Vorennaal » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:51 am

Thank You Dear Blindhorizon! ;)

I hope, you will find the quality satisfying enough.

Cheers:
Zoli
Vorennaal
Casual

Postby Blindhorizon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:08 pm

Just unwrapped my wicket, the sculpting is fantastic, the casting is awesome. Personally for me i really enjoy being able to purchase a fellow sculpters items. This is a very nice piece.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Next

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding