[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Ork ships
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Ork ships

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Ork ships

Postby Malika » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:18 am

Another step closer...

I've added some extra guns (still not enough!), as well as a torpedo launcher on the top, kinda like how certain submarines have it I guess. Now it's adding more details and such to it. At the moment the ship lacks any 'damaged' parts like the previous one had. I might look into that a bit, would love to make some of its interiors more visible.
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:33 pm

I really like what you're doing with these Ork ships, especially with the "gun" style prow! Some "damage" and visible guts would definitely help the style too.

It really is a shame that you aren't able to cast these yourself. I reckon there would be a market for resin copies, especially if you mastered from high quality 3D prints...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Well, er, my shipment of resin just arrived ;)
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:06 am

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:17 am

Still not enough guns...

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:48 am

Don't they look cute together?

Note that they're both still WIP, the one in the background almost done, the other one need a bit more work.

The main challenge will be how to cast these things once they're printed, seems like quite a nightmare to do so. Any tips regarding that?
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:35 am

After some thinking I quickly put this together:

As you can see an early WIP of scrapyard ship, version 3.0. Already keeping in mind the casting process, there should be no undercuts or anything in this model.

Furthermore...

It's modular! The way I see it at the moment is that the ship will consist of three main component parts: prow, bulk, and thrusters. Then these main components are also split in smaller parts. As you can see the bulk has separate sides. I'm planning on making a few variants of those side components, thereby allowing you various types of weaponsystems aboard. Also keep in mind that each side component has a left and right version.

Ok, back to work!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:11 pm

In the meanwhile, I've been continuing to work on the ship's hull. The more I look at it, the more I'm getting flashbacks to my old city designs I used to do, but perhaps that's not such an odd idea. At this scale I would imagine these ships to be gigantic shantytowns of a sorts.
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 pm

That is looking seriously fantastic!
mangozac

Postby Malika » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:28 am

At the moment this body is 20mm long, might be a bit too small, most of the blocks are with dimensions of around 0.5mm, here and there some bigger parts (especially the weapons). So I'm pondering if this would work as a ship of around 40mm long. If not, I could always increase the size, make it bigger, so 60mm or 80mm instead. Food for thought...
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Why not make the panels the same dimensions as the standard imperial weapons modules so that they can be chopped and changed for some variety? Other than for printing reasons I see no advantage to increasing the size...
mangozac

Postby Malika » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:22 am

The increase in side is more for visibility reasons. As for the dimensions of Imperial weapon modules: what are their dimensions?
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:44 am

You don't have any on hand? They're 18mm x 9mm.
mangozac

Postby Malika » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:03 am

Oh man, so close, my system at the moment is 18mm x 8mm! Time to tweak!

EDIT: just tweaked it!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:38 pm

In the meantime I've continued working on the scrapyard ship:

The basic shape is ready I think, currently the model is around 43mm long. Still pondering if I should resize it to around 50-60mm. Now all I need to do is add the details to match the bulk and side panels, and fix those parts that Shapeways believes to be 'too thin to print'.
Malika
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling