[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Factor40's Public Display
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Factor40's Public Display

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Factor40's Public Display

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:10 am

Steve (and Ben) these look absolutely stunning! I expect they will have received a good response from all of those Catachan guard players?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby factor40 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:28 am

So far, yes sir!

factor40
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:27 pm

I guess this is kinda a Resin Addict Co-Labs project :)
It's been great fun working with Steve on these.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:24 am

To anyone in the US who is interested, I have a used Mastercool 3cfm, single stage vacuum pump for sale. Send me a PM or an email if you're interested.

steve at madrobotminiatures dot com

factor40
Habit

Postby factor40 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:47 am

Long time no post, apologies for that. I just was experimenting with some new silicone and I thought I would share what I've found so far. Normally I use Smooth On Oomoo25. It's easy to mix, doesn't require degassing and it's easy to cut and work with. This new silicone, called Mold Star 20T, has double the tear strength compared to Oomoo so I thought I'd give it a try. The "T" in 20T means it's semi-transparent.

Anyways, it mixes on a 1:1 ratio and cures cloudy...

Looking at it through the light however, does reveal a certain amount of transparency...

Even the slight bit of transparency did seem to help when I was cutting the molds. The material is quite spongy after it cures, no doubt a result of it having such a high tear strength. Where that may become an advantage is in removing casts from the molds on a regular basis...

As you can see, the material allows for a LOT off flexibility, without any concern of tearing. Working with small parts, that means I can open these up with a little less fear that they will rip out. Only time will tell how quickly this material will dry out. I normally get a 2-4 month life to a normal mold before it starts to show some real degradation.

I'll post pics of the casts in a bit to see if they come out any different.

[1 hour later...]

I think we have a success!

Right, that settles it for me. Hope this helps you in your continuing quest for casting nirvana :)

factor40
Habit

Postby Islacrusez » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:23 pm

Looks like some nice casts indeed! How does this stuff stack up in the price scale?
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby factor40 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:04 pm

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:44 am

Time will tell - make sure you keep track of how many pulls you get. When I'm serious about doing a comparison I'll make two identical moulds at the same time (one from each silicone product) and always cast them simultaneously.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Previous

Return to Digital Modelling