[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - REPUBLIK - Future crowdfunding.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

REPUBLIK - Future crowdfunding.

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

REPUBLIK - Future crowdfunding.

Postby heribertovalle » Fri May 15, 2015 11:21 am

Good day to all! Name's Heriberto. Modeler, illustrator, Sculptor, and recently: resin caster still on the level of suck. It's ok, I'll learn, and the project I want to introduce you to requires me not to cast (that is being outsourced!)

I wanted to create something really cool: Larger scale miniatures for display. Think Scale 75 or the sort. I paired up with a friend for the project (Amazing sculptor, Gibran) and so far so good. The idea is to produce 6 figures in the first wave and crowdfund the run.

The first figure: War Magus Katlynka. Let me show her to you:

She has a pretty cool (methinks) base and alternate head:

I wanted to hear your comments, crits, ideas, and mostly recommendations on how I could make the project known so that when the crowdfunding campaign comes: It won't fail because of lack of exposure. And apart from that, I just wanted to know what do you think on this. I'm new to the world of resin kits, and this would be my first real quality product.

So far, casting of a short run for the War Magus is going well. It's being handled by a caster in another state here in Mexico, and I'll be receiving the first run this saturday, to pre-sell at a modeling convention this weekend.

What do you think about the figure?
heribertovalle
Casual

Re: REPUBLIK - Future crowdfunding.

Postby Fleafa » Fri May 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Fantastic display piece. You should have no trouble getting funded!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby horizon » Fri May 15, 2015 6:51 pm

Yeah, really cool model.

Just hop around various forums and showcase this model with a link to the crowd funding site.
horizon
User

Postby heribertovalle » Fri May 15, 2015 11:14 pm

heribertovalle
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon May 18, 2015 9:33 am

Display models are a tough market but I think the advice to find forums to share them on is a good idea. You must be careful though, as some forums get upset if you join up just to advertise your wares.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby RageofAchilles » Thu May 21, 2015 7:37 am

Great model!

I have seen model reviewers on youtube, I'd send a couple of kits out to people like that.

Mangozac is right to say that the display mini market is quite a difficult one but in recent years display minis have been growing in popularity thanks to ranges like Kingdom death and Mcvey studios.
take a look at the resin minis on coolminiornot.com

of course anime related display models are a pretty big market if you have never seen it , check out E2046 a very successful site selling resin models worldwide.

I'm sure you will have no trouble selling a quality piece like that though.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby heribertovalle » Thu May 21, 2015 2:36 pm

heribertovalle
Casual

Postby RageofAchilles » Thu May 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Well done on the display, I'm not surprised you got constant interest ;)

As for the new designs, I like the subjects especially Tengu frame zero.

Speaking from experience, I think you should stick to figures rather than large mecha for now. I have produced a large mecha kit ( Nemesis Assault Suit) and I found that even with masses of people saying how much they liked it, hardly anyone was willing to pay more than it cost to produce.

mangozac has experienced the same with his large mecha kits.

Once you hit a certain price range your market narrows even more dramatically.

You can really build a good rep with your figures, once you have a reasonably sized range , experiment with larger stuff like the baba-yaga. obviously if you can crowd fund your kits the only problem is finding a reliable producer. Not such an easy task, as you have already found out ;)
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Thu May 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Definitely spend some time on YouTube looking for channels reviewing kits like this. Anyone reviewing , Scale 75, and other 1/8 or 1/6 scale kits would be a good start. Make sure they have a decent number of followers.

Love the Tengu frame. Clear, laser-cut acrylic flight stand should be easy enough for you, by the looks of things! Otherwise, consider a scenic base with contact points to take the weight. Not easy.

Matryoshka keeper is a cool concept too. Back panel of the backpack could be separate from the rest of it to save resin. Less important for cost than weight, I expect.

I think the mech is something for further down the line! Get a decent following first.

I would consider numbered runs with certificates.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri May 22, 2015 9:29 am

Wow Heriberto you are a very skilled artist! I really love your style and it all looks fantastic!

Regarding the jetpack, I personally would go for a brass rod into a normal resin base. In my opinion using clear rod oes not come close to the illusion of no rod at all and a brass rod can be much smaller diameter and painted black. The eye is better at ignoring black than clear plastic ;)

As RoA has indicated, large scale Mecha are a difficult item to produce. The size and complexity makes them an expensive item and generally the high cost market is primarily only appropriate for well known IP (such as Gundam) or wargaming (Forge World). This is particularly evident with the Industria Mechanika run of Kallamity's Briegel: when they were asking for interest there were heaps of people who indicated they wanted one. But when it came time to preorder sales were quite slow. Even though that's a relatively famous design in the GK world, the high price means that it simply isn't feasible for most people.

It sucks trying to find a reliable producer and for the early days you're probably best to do it yourself if you have the time.

Oh and finally, there's no need to ask if you can share awesome stuff like this. Feel free to do so any time :P
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Digital Modelling