[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - 3D Printing & Model Making Resources
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

3D Printing & Model Making Resources

Discussion of digital modelling techniques: 3D modelling and 3D printing.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: 3D Printing & Model Making Resources

Postby Blindhorizon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Yes please, i am very interested too. I have a project i am planning on using it with, that you are familure with fleafa but you have me worried now.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Don't stress guys: I've seen his results and they are promising enough that I'm planning to get some test prints of my own done. I'm sure Fleafa will be along soon enough to share his results ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:37 am

Shapeways wax prints:
Very soft. I dropped one prior to casting and it was smushed up beyond use. The gorget broke off all four masters when I cut the mould.
The quality is beautiful, with a nice, though slightly grainy, surface finish and decent detail. I prefer Sculpteo's hard wax for longevity, but they have quality issues (the bottom of prints lose detail)

Sculpteo wax prints:
Wax is being taken off the Sculpteo webstore but you can still email for quotes.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:56 am

Hmm, so it's not yet a real alternative to the already existing high-end services?
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:27 pm

That looks very nice, how hard was it to mould up? I go about it the classic way of attaching a piece to a sprue/overflow. Will it even adhere with glue?
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:32 pm

To make life easier it would be best to print the sprue attachment with the part.
mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Thats what i was thinking, I wonder how much more that will increase the cost of the print. I do feel that their pricing is very cheap compared to others out there, so the risk may be worth the reward?
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:43 am

It's $8 per cubic centimetre, so surely no more than a few dollars?
mangozac

Postby Malika » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Hmm, but how grainy is it? Especially after a layer of paint?
Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Superglue does work, but moulding the sprue would be easier, if a little more expensive.
I don't think the graininess is a problem.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:12 am

Does anybody have any experience with Prodos Games' printing services?

http://www.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net ... g-service/
Malika
Junkie

Postby tiikki » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:03 pm

I run a 3D printing service in Finland.
It is called Protopaja Kalliokoski, web page is practically only in Finnish (at the moment.
Main business is prototype production with 3D printing, but at the moment I'm trying to get mold making and resin casting going. (Those are not yet offered publicly to customers as I'm not yet satisfied with results.)
I've got multiple machines and the line up is at the moment: Stratasys Dimension 1200 SST, ProJet 3510 SD, ZPrinters Z510 and Z450. So I have professional quality machines for FDM, UV hardened resin and full color sandstone. When compared to Shapeways the UV is same as Frosted Detail Plastic (not ultra nor extreme detail) and sandstone in my case is CMY and not CMYK and the accuracy on Z510 is officially same as in their newer model (Z450 is little bit less accurate.)
tiikki
Casual

Postby Malika » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:48 am

Shapeways are at it again, but is it worth it?

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/hig ... n-acrylate
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:41 am

Interesting. The detail on their examples looks a bit soft in places, but it's hard to tell if that's just due to a design not particularly suitable for printing. Layer thickness is 50 microns - my understanding is that really you want to be under half that.
mangozac

Postby Malika » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:11 pm

I'm tempted to do a test print to see what it's actually like. But the layer thing does sound a bit...problematic. Let's see. :)
Malika
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Digi-lab