[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Thin Bits and mold making
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Thin Bits and mold making

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Thin Bits and mold making

Postby Jamiew22 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:45 pm

G'day guys, girls and anyone else who cares to read this!
I've been casting some model train parts and some are quite thin (about .5 x 1 mm)
I've been having a little trouble with casts breaking lately as I pull them out of the mold. The only problem is, I've already cast about 30 with no troubles. The temperature has plummeted here in the UK in the past few weeks, so I'm not sure if it is something to do with getting cold and brittle, the mold getting old and sticky or if I just need a better mold release??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Also, does anyone know of any cheap pressure pots for pressure casting in the UK? I've looked around a bit but they are all quite pricey and I don't want to spend too much as I'll only be using it for a year.
Cheers ! Jamie W
Jamiew22
Casual

Re: Thin Bits and mold making

Postby Fleafa » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:57 am

Low temperature often results in brittle casts, unfortunately.
Cheap pressure pots can be dangerous. I have one of .

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:19 am

The easiest solution is to pull them out earlier, before the resin has hardened too much (but after it's reached an optimal point of rigidity). I never do a cast if I know I'm not going to demould within two hours, as the harder the resin sets in the mould the more wear on the mould it creates while demoulding.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Jamiew22 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:52 am

Cheers guys, I'll have a play and see what I can come up with!!
Jamiew22
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer