[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Alternative way to make mold? (Silicone Caulk)
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Alternative way to make mold? (Silicone Caulk)

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Alternative way to make mold? (Silicone Caulk)

Postby Kingster » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:18 pm

I can't afford to buy rubber for mold making and I still have some resin left. I was wondering if there was a really cheap way to make molds regardless of the quality. I am gonna use it in some 28mm models.

I found this:

or this video using cornstarch and baby oil

I loved it but, will it work? Resin will be OK or will it stick? My scale also is pretty small.
Last edited by Kingster on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingster
Casual

Re: Alternative way to make mold? (Silicone Caulk)

Postby osjclatchford » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:15 am

got to be honest I thought about doing something similar but have never had the guts to try... I, too would love to know from someone who's had any luck with it...
osjclatchford
Casual

Postby Kingster » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:39 am

I would like to hear an opinion of someone that has tried it or someone very experienced in casting, especially about how the resin will react in it, in small scale.
I put all my hopes in this forum, there is nowhere else that I can ask... :?
Kingster
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:54 am

I've never tried it, but I can't see why I wouldn't work for at least a couple of copies. You need to accept that it's an inferior technique so won't generate results as perfect as can be achieved using proper moulding silicone. You're likely to have problems getting the silicone applied deep into all of the detailed recesses of the model.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby osjclatchford » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:03 pm

as I suspected. well, I'm a cheap bastard so I'll give it a go and post the results! I may however cheap out even further and try something even more simple... :lol:
osjclatchford
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:45 am

Nothing wrong with that! Please do share your results!
mangozac

Postby Kingster » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:54 am

Guys after many castings it............ works! Not as great results ofc as RTV but if you want it for terrain pieces it's perfect! Sorry I can't post results due to possible copyright restrictions, but its cheap check it (the 100% only). I am casting using clay, legos and in the end I press it.

I am not sure though if using baby oil+corn flower instead of simple dish soap that I use now, would be better. If you have any idea please help! :)
Kingster
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks for the update! Good to know if I'm ever in a bind ;)
mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer