[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Silicone mold life
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Silicone mold life

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Silicone mold life

Postby RAuser » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:42 pm

Have been pouring epoxy into tin cure silicone molds, and getting about 10 molds before the silicone starts to let go in the small features, less than about a half mm. If I try for 20 molds, pieces of mold about 1mm start letting go.

Anyone have basic recommendations for extending the number of molds?
RAuser
Casual

Re: Silicone mold life

Postby mangozac » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:28 am

You're using pretty much the worst possible combination of materials! Try:

- Polyurethane resin (if possible)
- Platinum cure silicone
- Thick coating of release agent

Depending on the detail depth I work on an expected 30-40 pulls from a mould.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby RAuser » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:36 am

Thanks. Have to stick with epoxy, but will try platinum molds, and a silicone agent.

Is heating good, to speed up the cure and demold, or is slower overnight cure better, for making the mold last longer?
RAuser
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:49 pm

I would have thought that heat would be worse for the mould.

Also, have a look into silicone oils. I've heard of some people applying it to the mould and baking to rejuvenate the silicone, but have never tried it myself.
mangozac

Postby RAuser » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:34 pm

Silicone oil is different from agent? I have silicone spray agent on the way, with the platinum.

I would like to find out about the heat. I don't degas, so when heating after pouring, the bubbles don't have time to pop.
RAuser
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:26 am

Yeah, silicone oil is different to silicone release agent. You only treat the mould with it occasionally, not every cast.
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:31 pm

If you plan on painting, get wax release, not silicone release.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby RAuser » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:46 pm

No painting.

We've been using the silicone release and it has helped a lot. Spray the mold before each pour.
RAuser
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer