ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Resin Tiles

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Resin Tiles

Postby Mantaray » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi all,

as a complete beginner I am planning to make resin tiles for my bathroom and have been experimenting a couple ot times. As a lot has gone wrong with my experiments I have half a zillion questions and really hope to get some answers here:

1. I have used epoxy resin called Resin72. It is about 30 US$ per kilogram and hardens after 72 h. The necessary transparency is great but is it really the best material for my task or would there be a less expensive alternative that hardens faster without or ignorable quality loss?

2. The tiles should be 8 mm thick and about 10 cm x 10 cm square. Is it possible to use a different colored and lower-priced resin for the background (1-2 mm), which dries faster than my epoxy? If so, which? Should this resin harden completely to not interfere with the transparency of a second layer or is it enough if it has become thick?

3. How do I minimize air bubbles in general and in particular when working with small inlays as sand, glitter or pellets?

4. Where can I find appropriate moulds for casting? Since I need a lot of tiles, I can not build my own forms. Is there anyone who does produce silicone or better polyplastic moulds for e.g. six tiles (6 tiles = 1 mould)? Who could I contact?

5. So far I have been experimenting with moulds of silicon (actually for baking cakes). On the sides the resin shifts upward in the mould (although I used a release agent) so that it has sharp edges all around. Can you avoid this by using other moulds or other casting techniques, or is it always like this? How do I grind off these edges best and what do I use? How can I get the edges smooth and transparent afterwards?

6. I want to give the tiles a very slight blue tinge (such as water). Unfortunately, the tile is no longer transparent, if I take too much which is less than a pinhead. The color is very economical. How do I portion the color in such a small quantity and always exactly the same?

I apologize for my complete lack of knowledge. Please help if you can.

Kind regards,
Mantaray
Mantaray
Casual

Return to The Waiting Room